Porsáŋgguvuotna (Northern Sami)
View of the western side of the fjord
|Location||Finnmark county, Norway|
|Max. length||123 kilometres (76 mi)|
|Max. width||24 kilometres (15 mi)|
The Porsangerfjorden (English: Porsanger Fjord; Northern Sami: Porsáŋgguvuotna; Kven: Porsanginvuono) is a fjord in Finnmark county, Norway. The 123-kilometre (76 mi) long fjord is Norway's fourth-longest fjord. It is located in the municipalities of Nordkapp and Porsanger and it empties out into the Barents Sea. The large island of Magerøya and the Porsanger Peninsula lie along the western shore of the fjord, and the Sværholt Peninsula lies along the eastern shore of the fjord. The Helnes Lighthouse sits at the mouth of the fjord, on the western coast.
The village of Lakselv sits at the innermost part (southern part) of the fjord. Other settlements along the fjord include the villages of Brenna, Børselv, Indre Billefjord, Kistrand, Olderfjord, Repvåg, and Nordvågen. The town of Honningsvåg is also located near the mouth of the fjord. There are many islands inside the fjord, notably Tamsøya and Reinøya.
The fjord is officially named Porsangerfjorden in Norwegian. It is also known informally as Porsangen, but that is not an official name. The official Northern Sami name is Porsáŋgguvuotna and the official Kven name is Porsanginvuono.
- Overeem, I.; Syvitski, J. P. M. (2010). "Experimental Exploration of the Stratigraphy of Fjords Fed by Glaciofluvial Systems". In Howe, J. A.; Austin, W. E. N.; Forwick, M.; Paetzel, M. Fjord Systems and Archives. London: The Geological Society. pp. 125–142. doi:10.1144/SP344. ISBN 9781862395923.
- Ratcliffe, Derek (2010). Lapland: A Natural History. London: T & AD Poyser. p. 237.
- Clark, J. G. D. (2014). The Mesolithic Settlement of Northern Europe. Cambridge: University Press. p. 67.
- "Geografi - Porsanger kommune". porsanger.kommune.no. Retrieved 2016-08-21.
- "Porsangerfjorden" (in Norwegian). yr.no. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
|This Finnmark location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|