Portal:Geography/Did you know/4
- ... that Viedma Glacier (pictured) is part of the huge Southern Patagonian Ice Field, the third largest expanse of continental ice after Greenland and Antarctica?
- ... that Ridge A in Antarctica has been identified as the coldest, driest, calmest place on Earth?
- ... that Mount Widerøe, Antarctica, is named for Viggo Widerøe, who flew aerial photography planes to map 80,000 km2 (31,000 sq mi) of the continent's coast?
- ... that Lake Bistineau in northwestern Louisiana was originally formed in 1800 by flooding stemming from a large log jam on the nearby Red River?
- ... that Hurricane Greta in 1956 was the largest Atlantic hurricane ever recorded?