Portal:United Kingdom/Did you know/July 2009
- ... that the first patron of St Mary's Church, Mold (pictured) was Lady Margaret Beaufort, the mother of Henry VII?
- ... that HMS Lively won five battle honours during the Second World War, despite a career lasting less than a year from commissioning to being sunk?
- ... that the City of Carlisle is the largest city in England in terms of area, but is one of the smallest by population?
- ... that Centipede were an English jazz/progressive rock band with more than 50 members?
- ... that the British 21st Army Tank Brigade had so few tanks after the Battle of Dunkirk that two-thirds of the brigade was forced to serve as infantry?
- ... that former Olympic show jumper Marion Coakes won a silver medal on a pony and learned to ride on a donkey?