Portree High School
|Scottish Gaelic||Àrd-sgoil Phort Rìgh|
|Head Teacher||C A MacDonald|
|Deputy Head Teachers||A Breen
|Medium of education||English, Gaelic|
|Colours||Burgundy & Yellow|
|Scottish schools online||www
Portree High School (Gaelic: Àrd-sgoil Phort Rìgh) is a state co-educational comprehensive school in Portree, Skye in Scotland. As of 2010[update], the school enrols 520 pupils and employs 55 teachers. The school's catchment area draws from 15 primary schools across Skye and neighbouring Raasay. The school also has boarding provisions for a small number of pupils who live in more remote areas of the island.
A school has existed at Portree since the 17th century. However it closed in 1825 due to the difficulty in finding a new qualified schoolmaster. Construction on the Portree High School buildings began in 1872. In 1905 it became a Higher Grade school. Margaret Carnegie Hostel for girls being opened in 1924, followed in 1933 by the Elgin Hostel for boys. Elgin Hostel is now a Category B listed building.
Until late 2008, the school consisted of three buildings - the main building, the Elgin Hostel and the Technical Block, along with about a dozen demountable classrooms. In 2008, this arrangement was replaced by a new building, constructed by Morrison Construction as part of a regional PPP scheme to build eleven schools in the Highlands. The demountable classrooms were then removed, and the main building and Technical Block demolished.
The school's curriculum includes provision for Gaelic medium education. In 2006, a Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Education inspection resulted in a report that praised the "positive" relationship between pupils and staff, while criticising "limited" IT and "very poor" physical education provisions, and highlighting "significant risks to pupils' health and safety", thanks to poor traffic management outside the school, and a general lack of security. The building of the new school which opened in 2008 and the appointment of a new headteacher, Catherine MacDonald.
- Sir Russell Johnston (1932–2008), Liberal Democrat politician, Leader of the Scottish Liberal Party 1974–88
- Hector MacKenzie, Baron MacKenzie of Culkein (born 1940), nurse and trades unionist
- Roderick John MacLeod, Lord Minginish (born c. 1953), known as Roddy John, Chairman of the Scottish Land Court since 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Portree High School.|
- Irene MacAskill. "Portree High School, Isle of Skye, Home Page". Portreehigh.highland.sch.uk. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Portree High School". www.highland.gov.uk. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- History of PHS
- "Schools PPP". Highland.gov.uk. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- "Inspection and review". Hmie.gov.uk. Retrieved 2012-11-14.
- HMIe report on Portree High School accessed 27 October 2008
- "Biography: Roddy John MacLeod" (PDF). Stòrlann. Retrieved 27 October 2015.