|Stable release||1.12 / March 24, 2015|
Various graphical frontends are available for the command-line application Potrace. Notably, it has been integrated with Inkscape, giving Inkscape its Trace Bitmap action. FontForge can use Potrace to import a bitmap image into a font. Potrace is also used by the music engraving program LilyPond.
Potrace's input and output is black and white (colored images are greyscaled before processing). However, Inkscape is capable of producing color images by decomposing each channel into several black and white images and tracing them separately with Potrace. The commercial Total Vectorize program also uses Potrace as its core.
Traced with Potrace in Inkscape to an eight-color SVG image in 2006 (50 KB)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to potrace.|
- Peter Selinger (2013-02-19). "ChangeLog". SourceForge project potrace. Retrieved 2015-05-11.
- "Inkscape tutorial: Tracing". Inkscape. Retrieved 2015-02-14.
- Dual licensing program for Potrace
- Peter Selinger, Potrace: a polygon-based tracing algorithm, Sep 2003
- (French) Elisa de Castro Guerra, Inkscape: Apprenez, pratiquez, créez, Pearson Education France, 2007, ISBN 2-7440-2158-X, pp. 108–111
- Yannis Haralambous, Fonts & encodings, O'Reilly Media, Inc., 2007, ISBN 0-596-10242-9, pp. 500–501
- Karel Píška, Creating Type 1 Fonts from METAFONT Sources: Comparison of Tools, Techniques and Results in TeX, XML, and digital typography: International Conference on TeX, XML, and Digital Typography, held jointly with the 25th Annual Meeting of the TeX Users Group, TUG 2004, Xanthi, Greece, August 30 - September 3, 2004 ; proceedings, LNCS Volume 3130, Editor Apostolos Syropoulos, Springer, 2004, ISBN 3-540-22801-2, pp. 240–256, preprint