|Origin||London, United Kingdom|
|Associated acts||The Derelicts, Fad Gadget, the Lines, the Atoms, Foetus|
|Past members||Susan Gogan
On 16 October 1978, they released their debut EP, the four-song 7" Bits, on their own Spec Records label. It was followed on 10 July 1979 by the "Expert" single. Both records were compiled on an eponymous 12" EP issued on the French label Celluloid Records.
PragVEC played concerts during 1978 and 1979, opening for bands such as Cabaret Voltaire, Scritti Politti, the Psychedelic Furs, the Monochrome Set, Au Pairs, Magazine, Chelsea, Stiff Little Fingers and the Teardrop Explodes.
During their short existence, they also recorded a total of three sessions for the John Peel programme. The last of these showed them moving away from the guitar-based sound of the first EP towards the use of the Wasp, a battery-powered portable synthesizer with a built-in speaker. Two of the songs, "Rural Erotic" and "Third Person", were re-recorded for the No-Cowboys album, released in December 1980. Packaged in a polythene bag, the record was presented as a compilation by various bands, although all of the material was recorded by PragVEC.
Studholme, who had co-written many of the band's songs with Gogan, died in November 2005 after a long illness. Around the time of his death, he, Gogan and Cash had been working with Mute Records to compile a reissue of PragVEC material.
In popular culture
- Former members
- Susan Gogan – vocals, synthesizer
- John Studholme – guitar, synthesizer
- David Boyd – bass
- Nick Cash – drums
- Guest studio members
- John Glyn - tenor sax
- Art Moran - alto sax
- Jim Thirlwell - synthesizer, vocals
- No-Cowboys (1980, Spec Records)
Singles and EPs
- Bits 7" EP (1978, Spec Records)
- "Expert" 7" single (1979, Spec Records)
- PragVEC 12" EP (1979, Celluloid Records)
- Gimarc, George (1994) Punk Diary: The Ultimate Trainspotter's Guide to Underground Rock, 1970-1982, Vintage, ISBN 978-0-09-952211-9, p. 113
- Strong, Martin C.: The Great Alternative & Indie Discography, 1999, Canongate, ISBN 0-86241-913-1
- Neil Taylor (ed.). Document and Eyewitness. ISBN 1-4091-1221-7.
- "Pragvec", Keeping It Peel, BBC, retrieved 2011-12-19