Praia da Granja
|Praia da Granja|
|Beach of Portugal|
Praia da Granja
|Municipality||Vila Nova de Gaia|
|Location||São Félix da Marinha|
Praia da Granja is a FEE Blue Flag beach located in the Northwest of Portugal, and belongs to the Vila Nova de Gaia municipality, Porto District. This place is also located in the town of São Félix da Marinha . The northern boundary of the beach is bordered by the Ribeira da Granja.
The word Granja means Farm. The geographical location of Granja came from a Bishop Farm situated there in 1758. It belonged at that time to the "Crúzios" Monks and Priests. They used it on hot days as a place to rest and introspect. Portuguese poet Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen, who was from Porto, spent the summertime there with her family in their beach house mansion by the sea. The city of Espinho can be found to the south, while the cities of Porto and Gaia can be found to the north.
During the summer months Praia da Granja is patrolled by lifeguards. There are several licensed bar, restaurant concessions along the beach. there are toilet and shower facilities and there are opportunities to hire parasols and sun loungers.
- "Blue Flag - Granja". Praia da Granja's listing on the Blue Flag listing site. The Foundation for Environmental Education. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Map - Praia da Granja" (PDF). Map of the extent of Praia da Granja with a scale - PDF format. Instituto da Agua - Portuguese Environment Agency. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "Praia da Granja". References to the Ribeira da Granja - In Portuguese. Play Ocean ©2015. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Instituto de Socorros a Náufragos". information on the Portuguese Lifeguard Service. International Life Saving Federation. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Praia da Granja". list of the beach facilities - In Portuguese with symbols. Serviço de Apontadores Portugueses – SAPO – na Universidade de Aveiro. Retrieved 26 April 2015.