|Traded as||LSE: PFL|
|Val Gooding CBE, (Chairman)
Mark Whiteling (Interim CEO)
|Revenue||£960.1 million (2015)|
|£83.1 million (2015)|
|£47.5 million (2015)|
Premier Farnell plc is a British distributor of technology products and solutions for electronic system design, maintenance and repair throughout Europe, North America and Asia Pacific with operations in 24 countries and trading in over 100. Premier Farnell is listed on the London Stock Exchange.
The company was founded by Alan Farnell and Arthur Woffenden in 1939 in Leeds under the name of A.C. Farnell Limited. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1966. The company was located next to the Wetherby railway station: as it grew it moved into larger offices on the town's Sandbeck Industrial Estate, and then in 1995, into offices in Armley.
In 1995 it acquired Combined Precision Components. As it focused on distribution, its manufacturing operations were sold the same year. In 1996 it went on to buy the Premier Industrial Corporation, a leading United States distributor, and in doing so changed its name to Premier Farnell.
In 2001 Premier Farnell went on to acquire Buck & Hickman, a company which it subsequently went on to sell in 2007. Premier Farnell announced in 2006 the completed sale of Kent, its specialist automotive consumables business.
In 2007 the group launched its Greater China business, Premier Electronics, with the opening of a new warehouse and distribution centre in WaiGaoQia.
Towards the end of 2008 Premier Farnell began the closure of Cadillac Electric (part of the group's Industrial Products Division). During the course of 2008 Premier Farnell also acquired Hynetic Electronics, an Indian distributor, and in early 2009 Premier Farnell went on to acquire Microdis Electronics, an electronics distributor based in Poland.
The Premier Farnell group trades globally under the following company names:
- Farnell element14 in the UK and Europe
- element14 in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, China and Singapore
- Newark element14 in the United States, Canada and Mexico
- MCM Electronics in the United States
- Farnell-Newark in Brazil
- Combined Precision Components (CPC) in the UK
- Akron Brass, North America
- TPC Wire and Cable, North America
The group is part of the FTSE4Good Index of Corporate and Social Responsibility and is also a Gold status member participating in the Business in The Community (BiTC) Corporate Responsibility Index - a group of over 800 UK companies who are committed to having a positive impact on the environment and society. 2012
- ECMOD Direct Commerce Award for the best online business B2B 2012 
- BiTC Corporate Responsibility Index – Platinum status 2012 
- Ethisphere Institute – Worlds Most Ethical Companies List 2012 
- "Preliminary Results 2015" (PDF). Premier Farnell. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Our Company -what we do". Premier Farnell. 2013. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "History". Premier Farnell. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Farnell: Armley office workers give school makeover". Yorkshire Evening Post. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "pounds 1.9bn Premier buy to propel Farnell into Footsie". The Independent. 24 January 1996. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Buck & Hickman celebrate 180 years of success". Coventry Telegraph. 14 May 2010. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Engineering Products, Services & Suppliers | Source". Engineeringtalk.com. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Premier Farnell sells Kent auto business". EE Times. 20 July 2006. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Premier Farnell Heads East With Launch of New Business in China". PR Newswire. 2007. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Michigan's Cadillac Electric Closes Doors". Electrical Wholesaling. 2008. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Premier Farnell Acquires Assets of Hynetic Electronics". Efytimes.com. 2008-02-05. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Premier Farnell buys part of Microdis Electronics". E-biz. 8 January 2009. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Premier Farnell buys design software firm CadSoft". Electronics Weekly. September 2009. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "What we do". Premier Farnell. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Raspberry Pi sales fail to turn around Premier Farnell’s luck". 20 September 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Profile". Premier Farnell. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "ECMOD Direct Commerce Award Winners". Direct Commerce. March 28, 2012. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Premier Farnell retains Business in the Community Platinum status for third year running". Callcenterinfo.tmcnet.com. 2012-03-19. Retrieved 2014-03-23.
- "Premier Farnell retains Business in the Community Platinum status for third year running | Europe, Miscellaneous, Miscellaneous, UK News". Electronics-sourcing.com. 2012-03-19. Retrieved 2014-03-23.