Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
|Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom|
|Platform(s)||NEC PC-8801, NEC PC-6001, FM-7, MSX, NES/Famicom, Virtual Console|
Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom (サラダの国のトマト姫, Sarada no Kuni no Tomato Hime) is a video game by Hudson Soft originally released in 1984 for the NEC PC-8801, NEC PC-6001, FM-7 and MSX Japanese home computers.
It was ported on May 27, 1988, to the Famicom, and February 8, 1991 for the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America. It was also released on the Wii's Virtual Console in Japan on January 19, 2010, and in North America on February 8, 2010.
The characters are primarily cartoon-like anthropomorphic fruits and vegetables, though the game does contain some human characters, including Princess Tomato's sister, Lisa, and the villainous Farmies.
Taking the role of Sir Cucumber, a knight, the player is assigned by King Broccoli (now deceased) to defeat the evil Minister Pumpkin, who has kidnapped Princess Tomato. Early on, Sir Cucumber gains a sidekick, Percy the baby persimmon, who offers advice and helps throughout the quest (and always refers to Sir Cucumber as "Boss").
Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom plays similarly to a text adventure, though due to the NES's lack of a keyboard accessory, the possible commands are represented by buttons which line both sides of the screen. The commands are fixed and do not change during gameplay. Primarily, the game consists of still screens, with the exception of the "finger wars", mazes and occasional animated character, such as the octoberry and fernbirds. Players can issue commands to the game's protagonist. While the player may run into difficulty determining which actions will advance the game, the only way to "lose" is by failing to defeat the end-game boss, Minister Pumpkin, in a final game of "finger wars".
- "バーチャルコンソール | ダウンロードゲーム | 株式会社ハドソン". web.archive.org. May 28, 2011. Archived from the original on May 28, 2011. Retrieved May 11, 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-10-11. Retrieved 2018-10-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "サラダの国のトマト姫 | ニンテンドー3DS | 任天堂". 任天堂ホームページ.
- "サラダの国のトマト姫 | Wii U | 任天堂". 任天堂ホームページ.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-11-29. Retrieved 2018-12-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "PC-6001「ハドソン１」". web.archive.org. June 28, 2007. Archived from the original on June 28, 2007. Retrieved May 11, 2020.
- "Oh!FM-7：サラダの国のトマト姫（ハドソンソフト）". fm-7.com.
- "Tagoo : MSXソフトウエア検索 : サラダの国のトマト姫". msx.jpn.org.
- Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom Review & Resources - neoseeker.com, accessed August 20, 2007
- "Super Bomberman R Official Website". Super Bomberman R Official Website. Retrieved 2020-10-27.