This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Private GSM solutions, appeared after the deregulation of the DECT guardband in some countries, allow users and businesses to reduce their costs without impacting in their performance and offering a number of added value services. All of this thanks to the ability to create private mobile GSM networks, enabling mobile phone users to access the same services and features as users of a PBX extension.
Analysts estimate that 40% to 60% of corporate mobile minutes are used in building, highlighting an underappreciated pain point. Mobile phones tend to be used more often due to convenience - they are close at hand at all times, provide easy access to stored contact numbers and are more personal; as such a mobile handset makes employees easier to contact. With mobile minutes costing up to 150% more than fixed line minutes, there is a clear reason for enterprises to encourage change in mobile usage towards fixed desk phones. However, this is in direct opposition to the increasing use of mobile phones as the communications device of choice.
Increasing call spend is further exacerbated by a marked increase in mobility, as organizations increasingly move towards nomadic employees, and flexible working. Mobile penetration within organizations is also increasing, exposing enterprises to inflated mobile spending. Private GSM delivers many of the benefits demanded by enterprises; delivering call cost savings, assisting time critical decisions by improving reach, and ensuring that compliance legislations can be met. These benefits only come alive when enterprises are able to highlight real-life advantages through actual private GSM deployments.
The advantages and main features of the Private GSM technique, compared to other technologies, are as follows:
- All GSM devices produced since the year 2000 are usable. Specifically for industrial environments there are more types of mobile devices available which are water/dust/shock proof and have functions such as emergency button call or push to talk (Walkie-talkie mode).
- The transmitted power and the high receive sensitivity of the GSM equipment, results in a better coverage range and depending on the type of DECT systems, 1 GSM basis station can replace either 3x DECT or 5x WLAN base stations.
- The GSM band is a protected frequency, which allows any GSM communication to be possible. Therefore, there is no issues with interference from other devices such as game computers, RF repeaters, video transmitters, microwave ovens etc.
- The system completely supports data technologies, such as GPRS / EDGE, whereby mobile data applications of up to 235 kbit/s per user are possible.
- SMS between each registered mobile is completely supported. As well as SMS broadcasting from the central administrator to all users or group of users.
- Mobile phones have the ability to operate as PBX extensions while users are online. This brings many more advantages, such as the:
- o ability to transfer calls among handsets;
- o ability to make internal calls between handsets;
- o shared agenda and phonebook;
- o support for caller ID;
- Corporate phone management and control is improved, thanks to the capability of monitoring calls and messaging costs at all time.
- Businesses are able to connect their private GSM systems to a number of internationally standardized PBXs, such as Swyx, Alcatel, Siemens or Avaya, among others. Besides this, they are able to perform connectivity through SIP trunk, x-ISDN-2 or x-ISDN-3.
- Pure IP connection enabled from the enterprise to the carrier thanks to a SIP trunk, being able to handle voice and data, as well as the ability of handling video, broadband mobile, etc.
- Supports business continuity - the private mobile network continues to operate when the macro network (public mobile network) is unavailable.
- Dual SIM phone devices can be used in order to create a perfect symbiosis between companies’ existing operators and a Private GSM solution. By using this, businesses continue with the same tariff plan when using mobiles outside of the office and are able to enjoy all the benefits of Private GSM when being in-office, in a complete seamless and transparent way.
- Standard handsets are also supported, creating and easy and painless migration from your standard communications system.