Pune techie murder case
||This article reads like a press release or a news article and/or is entirely based on routine coverage. (June 2014)|
Pune techie murder case refers to the attack and murder of a 24 years old youth named Mohsin Shaikh in Pune on 2 June 2014 . There was communal tensions in the area after derogatory photographs of Shivaji and Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray were uploaded to social media during which public buses were vandalized and arrests were made. The uploads were made through foreign proxy servers traced to sources in India. Home minister R R Patil said authorities know the identity of those that uploaded the offensive images and that Mohsin was innocent and died in the riots. Government of Maharashtra announced compensation to his family .
Mohsin Mohammed Sadique Shaikh was an IT professional working as an IT manager in a private textile firm, he was attacked and killed while returning after prayer from Unnati Nagar. Police have made arrests including the leader of Hindu Rashtra Sena (HRS), a Hindutva group, for their alleged role in the incident. Dhananjay Jayram Desai, the founder president of radical outfit Hindu Rashtra Sena (HRS), first came into prominence. Desai has denied that his outfit had anything to do with the murder and said, "We understand that circulating derogatory pictures is a cyber crime but the problem cannot be solved by killing innocent persons.". Before this, a 20-year-old Nikhil Tikone of Kasba Peth was target by both Muslim and Hindus during communal tensions.
Rajya Sabha MP and Congress leader Hussain Dalwai on 1 July 2014 alleged that police officers investigating the Mohsin Shaikh murder case were trying to cover it up, and they should be dismissed for the failure to nab the masterminds of the crime. "The Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan assured us that government will make the investigation into this unfortunate incident a priority. We were also told that the organisation behind this ghastly act and the people involved in spreading communal disharmony will be taught a lesson," he added.
In March 2015 the Bombay high court denied bail to Hindu Rashtra Sena chief Dhananjay Desai maintaining that the prosecution had rightly submitted that Desai has taken advantage of poverty and unemployment in society and instigated such to satisfy his religious fanatic vendetta against a community. The judge noted most of the rioters were young men, one of them just 18. The High Court maintained that the statement of the witness showing that a plan had been hatched to attack members of a community as directed by Desai was sufficient to deny bail.
- "Meet Bhai, man who heads Hindu group blamed for techie’s murder". The Indian Express. June 6, 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Techie death: Pune police may seek ban on outfit". The Hindu. June 6, 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Techie Murder: FB Posts Uploaded From Foreign IP Addresses". Outlook. June 6, 2014.
- Chittaranjan Tembhekar; Mateen Hafeez (June 9, 2014). "Those behind inflammatory Facebook posts identified: R R Patil". Times of India.
- "Pune techie murder case: Another man was attacked by same gang the night Mohsin was killed". The Times of India. Jun 6, 2014. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Founder of HRS charged with Pune techie’s murder". The Hindu. 11 June 2014.
- "25 people held in Pune techie murder case". The Indian Express. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Techie dies after attack by Hindutva group". The Hindu. 4 June 2014.
- "Pune: Muslim techie killed by rightwing mob over morphed FB posts". Firstpost. 2014-06-04. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- "Dhananjay Desai arrested for Pune muslim techie’s murder, HRS alleges political conspiracy". June 10, 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "‘Had to circulate video saying I am a Hindu, not linked to FB posts’". The India Express. Jun 12, 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "पुणे: मुस्लिमों ने आरएसएस वाला समझकर पीटा, हिंदुओं ने बताया 'निखिल खान'". DainikBhaskar. Jun 11, 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Dalwai alleges cover-up in Pune techie murder case". Business Standard. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Pune techie murder". NDTV. Retrieved June 2014. Check date values in:
- "Pune Techie Murder Case: 21 Men Linked to Hindu Rashtra Sena Sent to Judicial Custody". NDTV. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "Pune Techie Murder Case: Hindu Rashtra Sena Chief Named as Accused". NDTV. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Pune Techie Murder: Maharashtra Government Mulling Ban on Hindu Rashtra Sena". NDTV. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Police Claim Pune Techie's Murder Linked to Controversial Facebook Posts, 13 Arrested". NDTV. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "Hindu Sena leader took advantage of poverty in society: Bombay HC". Times of India. 2015-03-29. Retrieved 2015-03-29.
- "Bail in Muslim youth’s murder: Bombay HC cites his religion as provocation". The Indian Express. 2017-01-17.
- "Pune Muslim youth murder: Is the Bombay HC bail to accused a licence to kill for sake of religion?". Firstpost. 2017-01-17.