Queensland Girls' Secondary Schools Sports Association
|Headquarters||Brisbane, Queensland, Australia|
|10 member schools|
The Queensland Girls' Secondary Schools Sports Association Inc (QGSSSA) is a sporting association for girls from eight private girls' schools, one co-educational private school, and one co-educational public school, based in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Established in 1908 as the Secondary Schools Sports Association, inter-school competition commenced in 1909 in the sports of Swimming, Tennis and Basket Ball. Competition is offered to, and organised for, girls from Years 7 to 12.
The Sports Association of Secondary Schools of Queensland, was formed in 1908, with three members: Brisbane Girls Grammar School, The Brisbane High School for Girls (now Somerville House) and Eton High School (now St Margaret's Anglican Girls School). There is some evidence to suggest that Moreton Bay College may also have participated in sporting competitions in the early years. The association had been initiated by Constance Harker, co-Principal of Somerville House, and its aim was to "promote a friendly spirit between schools and at the same time deepen and strengthen the loyalty of individual girls to their own school".
Ipswich Girls' Grammar School and St Hilda's School joined the Association in 1911, followed by the Brisbane State High School in 1921, St Aidan's Anglican Girls' School in 1939, Clayfield College in 1941, Moreton Bay College in 1945, and St Peters Lutheran College in 1946. Several other schools have also been members of the QGSSSA at some time, – Girton College Toowoomba, Commercial State High School, University High School, Wynnum High School and Technical College.
|Brisbane Girls Grammar School||Spring Hill||~1,150||1875||Non-Denominational||Day||1908|
|Brisbane State High School||South Brisbane||~2,500||1921||Secular||Day||1921|
|Clayfield College||Clayfield||~945||1931||Uniting Church||Day & Boarding||1941|
|Ipswich Girls' Grammar School||Ipswich||~860||1892||Non-Denominational||Day & Boarding||1911|
|Moreton Bay College||Manly West||~1,137||1901||Uniting Church||Day||1945|
|St Aidan's Anglican Girls' School||Corinda||~857||1929||Anglican||Day||1939|
|St Hilda's School||Southport||~1,188||1912||Anglican||Day & Boarding||1911|
|St Margaret's Anglican Girls School||Ascot||~900||1895||Anglican||Day & Boarding||1908|
|St Peters Lutheran College||Indooroopilly||~1,990||1945||Lutheran||Day & Boarding||1946|
|Somerville House||South Brisbane||~1,200||1899||Uniting Church||Day & Boarding||1908|
(N.B. Years of participation in the QGSSSA in brackets.)
- Girton College, Toowoomba (1908)
- Commercial State High School
- University High School
- Wynnum High School and Technical College
- Cross Country
- Gymnastics (Artistic)
- Gymnastics (Rhythmic)
- Touch Football
- Track & Field Athletics
Head of the Schoolgirls Regatta
- "A Brief History". QGSSSA. SportingPulse. 2005. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- Gill, K.E (1983). "Harker, Constance Elizabeth (1875 - 1964)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. 9 (Online ed.). Melbourne: Melbourne University Press. p. 199. Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- "Aspiration and Intent Statements". School Profile. Brisbane Girls' Grammar School. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "A Brief History". School Profile. Brisbane Girls' Grammar School. Retrieved 2007-12-17.
- "2006 Annual Schools Report" (PDF). Downloads. Clayfield College. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- "Clayfield College". Schools. Australian Boarding Schools' Association. Archived from the original on 17 November 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Ipswich Girls' Grammar School". Schools. Australian Boarding Schools' Association. Archived from the original on 17 November 2007. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- "Moreton Bay College – School Annual Report 2007" (PDF). News. Moreton Bay College. 2007. pp. 1–2. Retrieved 2008-04-15.[dead link]
- "College History". Discover MBC. Moreton Bay College. Retrieved 2008-04-14.
- "Annual School Report 2007". School Reports. St Aidan's Anglican Girls' School. 2007. Archived from the original on 13 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Annual Report of St Hilda's School 2006" (PDF). Documents. St Hilda's School. 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-16.
- "Procedures". Enrolments. St Margaret's Anglican Girls' School. Archived from the original on 11 October 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Introduction & School Details" (PDF). School Report 2007. St. Peters Lutheran College. 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-04.
- "School Annual Reporting 2006". About Us. Somerville House. 2007. Archived from the original on 10 October 2007. Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- "Somerville House". Schools. Presbyterian and Methodist Schools Association. Archived from the original on 16 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-16.