From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up quincunx in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A quincunx originally meant a 5/12 fraction of something, but most modern uses involve patterns of five points. It may refer to:
Geometric patterns of points
- Quincunx, five points, four in a square with one more in the middle of the square.
- An orchard planted in a quincunx pattern
- Quincunx matrix, a 2×2 Hadamard matrix that generates points in a diagonal lattice pattern
- Bean machine, also called a quincunx, a machine designed by Sir Francis Galton to demonstrate normal distributions, consisting of an array of pins in a diagonal lattice pattern
- Quincuncial map, a method of mapping the globe onto a square so that the poles map to the five points of a quincunx
- Place des Quinconces, a city square in Bordeaux, France, named for the quincunx pattern in which its trees were planted
- Rhombic lattice, the points of intersection of two families of equally spaced parallel lines, called a quincunx In 19th-century mathematics
- The Garden of Cyrus or The Quincunciall Lozenge, a 1658 philosophical treatise by Sir Thomas Browne concerning interconnections in art and science involving the number five and the quincunx pattern
- Mistress Masham's Repose, a 1946 novel by T. H. White in which a lake in the grounds of Maria's estate is called the Quincunx
- The Quincunx of Time, a 1973 science fiction novel by James Blish; the title refers to an orchard in the Academy of Plato, planted in a quincunx pattern
- The Avignon Quintet, a set of five novels that its author, Lawrence Durrell, described as forming a quincunx; the fifth, Quinx (1985), has a plot that includes the discovery of a stone quincunx pattern
- The Quincunx, a 1989 novel by Charles Palliser that traces five related families over five generations
- Quincuncial aestivation, an arrangement of five parts of a flower bud prior to opening found in some plants
- Quincuncina, a genus of freshwater mussels named for the pattern of nodules on its shells
- Quincunx (Roman coin), a bronze coin with the value of 5/12 of an as
- Quincunx (astrology), an angle of 150°, 5/12 of a complete circle
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Quincunx.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.