RSVP is a process for a response from the invited person or people. It is an initialism derived from the French phrase Répondez s'il vous plaît meaning "Please respond". The initialism "RSVP" or the phrase "Répondez s'il vous plaît" are still used in current French to require confirmation of an invitation. The French initialism "SVP" is also frequently used for "s'il vous plaît" ("please")..
RSVP, regrets only
The phrase "RSVP, regrets only", or simply "Regrets only", is a popular modern variation that implies "if you do not reply, that will be taken as an acceptance."
More specifically, if most invitations can be assumed to be accepted, a "regrets only" RSVP will reduce the communication required by both the host and their guests. The phrase "Regrets only" refers to the assumption that a declination will be worded with some variation of "We regret we cannot attend...".
Save the date cards
Prior to sending the RSVP invitation, the host may mail out a "save the date" card to advise the date and location of the celebration. This may be used when the event will be held a considerable time in the future and/or in a distant location to allow for travel plans, for such events as a wedding, christening, or any other important event.
In recent years, the use of RSVP in the English language has spread outside of the discourse of highly formal correspondence and commonly figures in group emails. In this context, the acronym seems to have loosened its tie to its original meaning and is often understood simply as an abbreviation for "reply". Some writers therefore routinely use the phrase "RSVP please", which is a case of RAS syndrome or a pleonasm.
- "Rsvp : Définition simple et facile du dictionnaire". www.linternaute.com (in French). Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- fr:Invitation[better source needed]
- "Svp : Définition simple et facile du dictionnaire". www.linternaute.com (in French). Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "RSVP vs. Regrets Only". www.announcingit.com. Invitation Do's and Don'ts.
- "Invitation Etiquette". The Emily Post Institute, Inc. Archived from the original on 2012-06-20. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
|Look up RSVP in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|