Raúl the Third
Raúl the Third
González at the 2018 Texas Book Festival
November 29, 1976
El Paso, Texas, United States
|Notable works||Lowriders in Space |
Lowriders to the Center of the Earth
|Notable awards||Pura Belpré Illustrator Award|
Raúl the Third (born 1976) is a Mexican American artist and illustrator.
Life and career
Raúl González was born in El Paso. His father was from that town while his mother was from the neighboring Mexican city of Juárez. Raúl spent his childhood in both cities. In addition to his extensive work as a painter (which has been exhibited in New York, Boston, and Los Angeles), Raúl is a comic book and graphic novel illustrator. He works on the SpongeBob SquarePants comic, among other titles.
Awards and honors
- Lowriders to the Center of the Earth was selected as a Pura Belpré Illustrator Winner in 2017 by the American Library Association.
- Lowriders in Space was nominated for a Texas BlueBonnet award in 2016-2017.
- The Brother Thomas Fellowship in 2015.
- 2009 award from the Artadia Foundation for Art and Culture.
- Voted Boston's best visual artist for 2010 by readers of The Boston Phoenix.
- Clockwork Curandera. Written by David Bowles. New York, NY: Tu Books, 2020. (Forthcoming.)
- Lowriders: Blast from the Past. Written by Cathy Camper. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2018.
- Lowriders to the Center of the Earth. Written by Cathy Camper. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2016.
- Lowriders in Space. Written by Cathy Camper. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2014.
AS AUTHOR AND ILLUSTRATOR
- ¡Vamos! Let’s Go to the Market. by Raúl the Third. New York: Versify (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), 2019.
- Trujillo, Robert (February 9, 2015). "Q & A with Illustrator Raúl the Third". Latinxs in Kids Lit. Latinxs in Kids Lit. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- American Library Association (January 30, 2017). "American Library Association announces 2017 youth media award winners". American Library Association. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- González, Raúl. "About Raúl the Third". Art by Raúl. Raúl González. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- Laughran, Jennifer. "Clients". a.k.a literaticat. Jennifer Laughran. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- Ortega, Dave (July 19, 2018). "Lowriders". PEN America. PEN America. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Zielinski, Sara (August 27, 2015). "Interview With Raul Gonzalez III". Huffington Post. Huffington Post. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Eskey, Nicholas. "Nothing but Bic Pens Will Do for Latino Artist Raul the Third". The Beat. The Beat. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Tuttle, Kate (July 1, 2016). "Raúl Gonzalez: learning his art at 7-11". The Boston Globe. The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Maughan, Shannon (July 24, 2018). "Spring 2019 Children's Sneak Previews". Publishers Weekly. Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Alter, Alexandra (January 30, 2018). "Kwame Alexander Will Start His Own Imprint. The Name? Versify. Get It?". Books News. New York Times. Retrieved 2018-07-27.