|Former editors||John Zimmerman|
|Frequency||8 time per year|
|Founder||Paul F. Pfanner|
|First issue||May 1, 1992|
|Company||Racer Media & Marketing Inc.|
The magazine has news and feature articles relating to most of the world's major auto racing series, including NASCAR, Formula One, the IndyCar Series, Champ Car, the American Le Mans Series, the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series, NHRA Drag Racing, and the World Rally Championship, as well as local racing categories and feeder series. The magazine includes extensive photography of race vehicles. In addition to the magazine, Racer also has a custom publishing division, that produces SportsCar magazine for the Sports Car Club of America.
The magazine debuted with the May 1992, issue with the cover story about the "engine war" in the CART, and the cover photo was a head-on shot of Emerson Fittipaldi’s Penske-Chevrolet Indycar by Michael C. Brown. The magazine was launched by Paul F. Pfanner, and originally published by Racer Communications, Inc. which was a sister company of Pfanner Communications, Inc. that published SportsCar magazine for the Sports Car Club of America and Champ Car magazine. Racer's founding Publisher was Bill Sparks and the founding Editor was John Zimmermann. Jeff Zwart was also a co-founder. It was listed as one of the "12 best magazines in America" by M.I.N. Magazine in 1999. The company and the title was later purchased by London-based Haymarket Publishing (now Haymarket Media Group) in early 2001. The magazine was sold back to its founders in 2012 and is now run by Racer Media & Marketing Inc. Laurence Foster remained in the position of Editor-in-Chief. Sparks serves as the Publisher and company COO. The main investors of the magazine also returned to the publication, including Chris Dyson and Rob Dyson.
- Motorsport.com (2007). "MX-5: Jason Saini visits Laguna Seca". Motorsport.com. Retrieved October 22, 2007.
- prnewswire.co.uk (2007). "Racer Communications Launches New Magazine, Champs Car in May". PR Newswire. Retrieved October 22, 2007.
- "Publication Changes In The Motorsports Realm".
- columnist, Jan Norman, small-business. "O.C. racing magazine is sold".
- "About Racer". Racer. Retrieved January 27, 2016.
- "Publication Founders Re-acquire RACER Magazine and Racer.com on Eve of 20th Anniversary.". 14 April 2012.
- "Gordon Kirby - Auto Racing - The Way It Is".
- Inc., Phillips Business Information,. "min magazine Names Industry's Best; Commemorative Publication Becomes Quarterly Magazine-about-Magazines".
- "Industry Insights: Paul Pfanner".
- "Haymarket Sells Majority Stake in Racer Magazine - Folio:". 27 March 2012.
- "Car Guy Nation Signs Racer Magazine As Marketing Partner - Digital Dealer". 13 February 2013.