This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2016)
Early life and education
Raffaele Lauro was born in Sorrento to Luigi and Angela Aiello, one of four brothers. In his youth, he worked as a receptionist in hotels in the Sorrento Peninsula. He attended high school in Sorrento, at the Sant'Anna Institute, graduating with honors and reporting of the Commission.
After high school, he continued his studies at the University of Naples Federico II. There, he got three degrees: in Political Science, cum laude, with a thesis on the history of Afro-Asian countries': "Political and economic reflections of the Vietnam War"; in Law, cum laude, with a thesis in International Law, "International Law and German post-Kantian philosophy"and later in Economics, cum laude, with a degree in Theory and Techniques of Trading Market "The mutual funds: Perspectives on the Italian market."
In 1968 he won a scholarship at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and during the next four years, he first attended courses at the Diplomatic Institute at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then he studied foreign policy, in Paris, at the Documentation française.
In Rome, at the Institute of Journalism and Audiovisual Techniques, he also got a degree in Journalism, cum laude and became a journalist, member of the Order of Journalists of Lazio and Molise. He was then director of the scientific magazine Post and Telecommunications published by the Fondazione Ugo Bordoni and has worked as commentator of new information technologies, for "Il Tempo" in Rome and "Il Mattino" in Naples. For Radiocorriere TV, he has been a columnist about citizens and institutions. At the New University of Cinema and Television in Rome, he graduated in Directing Film, with Masters Giuseppe De Santis, Carlo Lizzani and Florestano Vancini.
Since 1971, he was a professor of History and Philosophy in high schools. For many years, he has taught Law of Mass Communications at the Faculty of Political Sciences at LUISS University in Rome.
The administrative-institutional activities of Raffaele Lauro began in Sorrento in 1980. Pupil of politician Francesco Compagna, he was elected Councillor of Sorrento, holding the positions of Deputy Mayor, Councillor for Finance, Personnel and Culture. During the period in which he took the latter department, he organized the Public Library of Sorrento and established a theater school, with director Lorenzo Ferrero di Roccaferrera and a theatrical review, with actor Bruno Cirino Pomicino.
He left Sorrento in 1984 and he moved to Rome where he was chief of the secretariat of the Post and Telecommunications Ministry, of the Finance Ministry and of the Interior Ministry, he was Councillor of the national Audit Office then head Prefect. He has had a sensitive assignment at the Interior Ministry (Chief of Cabinet, Director of Border Regions and Inspector General of Administration). In October 2003 he was appointed Councillor to the Minister of Government Program Implementation at the Office of the Prime Minister. From May 2005 to May 2006 he was Chief of cabinet of the Production Activities Ministry. From June 2006 until February 2008 he was Special Government Commissioner for the Coordination of Anti-racket and Anti-usury Initiatives and Chairman of the Solidarity Commission for the victims of extortion and usury.
In the 2008 general election he was elected Senator for the "People of Freedom" party, in the district of Campania. He was appointed member of the Parliamentary Committee of Inquiry into the Mafia and other criminal organizations, including foreign ones, member of the parliamentary committee for the general guidance and supervision of broadcasting services, the First Committee (Constitutional Affairs), until April 2012 and then member of the Sixth Committee (Finance and Treasury). He was also Political Advisor to the security of the Minister of Economic Development, the Hon. Claudio Scajola.
On 21 January 2013, he left the PDL Group of the Senate of the Republic to join the Misto Group.
On 9 December 2014, he has been appointed as a member of the board of the Fondazione Link Campus University and member of the board of the University. In late 2015, after a political consideration, lasting three years, he joined the Democratic Party of Lazio.
Lauro is a freelance journalist, essayist, screenwriter, author, director, librettist and writer. Among his most important essays include:
- "Viêtnam: ricerca della pace perduta", 1969
- "La D.C. verso il Duemila", Rusconi Editore, 1984
- "A look at China. Political and economic notes", 1986
- "Comunicazioni e sviluppo: la sfida del cambiamento", Ed. CEI, 1987
- "Da Moro: il futuro della democrazia in Italia", 1987
- "Comunicazione e trasparenza bancaria", con P.Rivitti, Ed. CEI, 1990
- "Mondazzi. Sulla via di Damasco", 1990
- "Leadership e preferenza unica" Maggioli Editore, 1992
- "Il Prefetto della Repubblica", con G.Balsamo, Maggioli Editore
- "La riforma elettorale", 1992
- "La Prefettura - Tra presente e futuro" con M. Guaitoli, Maggioli Editore, 2000
- "Verso la Nuova Europa", Edizioni Goldengate, Roma, 2004
- "Il Prefetto della Repubblica - Tra Istituzioni e Società" di Raffaele Lauro e Vincenzo Madonna, Edizioni Maggioli, 2005
- "Il vento nuovo - La lotta al racket e all'usura (2006 - 2008)", Maggioli Editore, 2008
- "Maria, Madre di Misericordia e Madre di Gesù, ponte di dolcezza e di pace tra Cristianesimo e Islam", GoldenGate Edizioni, 2015
Among the works of fiction, also written under the pseudonym Ralph Lorbeer:
- "Roma a due piazze", Edizioni CEI, 1987
- "Metropolitania", Rusconi Editore, 1991
- "Il sogno di Pedro, Rusconi Editore, 1993
- "Il progetto","La crociera" and " La condanna", Lancio Editore, 1997
- "Mutus", Lancio Editore, 1998
- "Quel film mai girato" Volume I, GoldenGate Edizioni, 2002
- "Quel film mai girato" Volume II, GoldenGate Edizioni, 2003
- "Cossiga Suite", GoldenGate Edizioni, 2009
- "Sorrento The Romance", GoldenGate Edizioni, 2013
- "Caruso The Song - Lucio Dalla and Sorrento", GoldenGate Edizioni, 2015
- "Lucio Dalla and San Martino Valle Caudina. In the eyes and in the heart", GoldenGate Edizioni, 2016
- "Lucio Dalla and Sorrento Tour - Stages, images and testimonies", GoldenGate Edizioni, 2016
- "Dance The Love - A Star in Vico Equense", GoldenGate Edizioni, 2016 presented in Vico Equense, in national première, on the 27th July, within the Social World Film Festival - International Exhibition of Social Cinema
- "Dance The Love - A Star in Vico Equense. Images - Testimonies", with Riccardo Piroddi, GoldenGate Edizioni, 2016
- Interviews&cConversations about Don Alfonso 1890 - Salvatore Di Giacomo and Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, GoldenGate Edizioni, 2017
- "Don Alfonso 1890 - Salvatore di Giacomo and Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi", GoldenGate Edizioni, 2017
Musical compositions, tragedies and television documentaries
- "Voyage" (for soprano and piano coloring), "Io sono come sono" (for tenor and piano), "Austerlitz" (for tenor and piano)
- "Antinoo", "Memory", "Il mondo di Carlos", "Il caso Ciaikovskij", "Margaret by Margaret"
- "I ponti della storia e della leggenda": Ponte Sublicio, Ponte Emilio, Ponte Milvio, Ponte Fabricio, Ponte Cestio e Ponte Elio, RAI, 2000
- "Lucio Dalla and Sorrento - The Places of the Soul", produced by GoldenGate Edizioni, 2015
- "Uno straccione, un clown" (A beggar, a clown), lyrics by Raffaele Lauro, music by Giuliano Cardella, Paolo Della Mora and Alberto Lucerna. Dedicated by Raffaele Lauro to Lucio Dalla, on the occasion of the fifth anniversary of the death of the great artist from Bologna (March 1, 2012/1 March 2017), performed by the band "The Sputos"
Honours and awards
He was appointed, in 1990, 3rd Class Commander of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic, and in 1992, 2nd Class Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (1992). He also received top honors from governments and foreign countries (Chile, Morocco).
In 2004, in Agrigento, he won the prestigious "Premio Empedocle", in memory of Paolo Borsellino, conferred by the Academy of Mediterranean Studies.
In 2005, the "Premio Personaggio Speciale 2005" by Confartigianato and, in 2006, together with the Maestro Lucio Dalla, the International Prize "Sorrento nel Mondo".
On 18 December 2015, with a special session, the City Council of San Martino Valle Caudina (AV), awarded him with honorary citizenship in recognition of the literary work, which enshrined the historic link between Lucio Dalla, Sorrento and San Martino Valle Caudina. He was also awarded, in December 2016, with the honorary citizenship of Meta, in Sorrento Peninsula.
During 2015/2016, he has realized the "Lucio Dalla and Sorrento Tour" in 21 stages, in Italy and abroad (in Sofia, under the patronage of the Presidency of the Republic), at prefectures, embassies, theaters, libraries and town halls, with 81 witnesses on Lucio Dalla’s bond with Sorrento, with Manfredonia and the South of Italy.The tour, which lasted a year, has been documented in a book, presented in Sorrento and Manfredonia, to mark the fourth anniversary of Bolognese artist’s death (March the 1st 2012/March the 1st 2016).
- "Scheda di attività - Raffaele Lauro" (in Italian). Senate of the Republic (Italy). Retrieved 7 January 2013.
- Mauro Siniscalchi. "- Raffaele Lauro". raffaelelauro.it. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- Mauro Siniscalchi. "- Raffaele Lauro". raffaelelauro.it. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- [dead link]
- "LAURO LASCIA I VERTICI DEL VIMINALE". Archivio - la Repubblica.it. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Ministri, boom di consiglieri politici" (PDF). Italiaoggi.it. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Lauro (Pdl) furioso: non mi ricandidano? Esclusione strumentale e gansteristica". Corriere del Mezzogiorno. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- Redazione (2016-02-04). "Raffaele Lauro aderisce al Partito Democratico – Melilli e Bonaccorsi: un uomo delle istituzioni e della legalità | Partito Democratico del Lazio". Pdlazio.it. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Lauro : Il vento nuovo, lotta al racket e all'usura" (PDF). Maggioli.it. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Adnkronos". adnkronos.com. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- ""Sorrento, The Romance", la storia di un'immane tragedia sorrentina narrata da Raffaele Lauro". politicainpenisola.it. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Anteprima, la copertina del nuovo libro di Raffaele Lauro: "Sorrento. The Romance"". politicainpenisola.it. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- ""Caruso The Song" di Raffaele Lauro: la biografia interiore di Lucio Dalla attraverso il suo capolavoro e il suo legame con Sorrento". sorrentotheromance.com. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "LUCIO DALLA RETURNS TO SANT'AGATA SUI DUE GOLFI: A TRIBUTE TO THE GREAT ARTIST ORGANISED BY PRO LOCO DUE GOLFI – FRIDAY, 4TH SEPEMBER [sic] 2015". Sorrento The Romance. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "THE "CONCERT OF FERRAGOSTO 2015" WITH THE VOICE OF MARCO VIRGILI CONFIRMED THE EXTRAORDINARY POPULAR SUCCESS OF THE EVENT DEDICATED BY THE MUNICIPALITY OF CINGOLI TO LUCIO DALLA". Sorrento The Romance. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "San Martino Valle Caudina. Gianni Raviele: "The Book On Lucio Dalla By Raffaele Lauro, Although Revealing All The Traces Of A Novel, Is Not Just A Novel As Many Others, But A Great And Accomplished Romance." Mayor Ricci Welcomes The Idea Of Raising A Commemorative Star As A Monument For Lucio Dalla And Proposes To Award An Honorary Citizenship To The Sorrentine Prefect And Writer". Sorrento The Romance. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "A Triumphant Tour Of Lucio Dalla And Raffaele Lauro In Apulia, In The Perfect Link Between Sorrento, Barletta, The Tremiti Islands And Manfredonia". Sorrento The Romance. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Repeated Success, Enthusiasm And Huge Emotions At The Tribute Evening To Lucio Dalla At Hilton Sorrento Palace". Sorrento The Romance. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Lucio Dalla At Palazzo Caracciolo: A Magic Evening In The Heart Of Naples". Sorrento The Romance. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "MAY 2015: AN EXCEPTIONAL EVENING AT THE MONUMENTAL TOWN HALL OF CINGOLI FOR "CARUSO THE SONG - LUCIO DALLA AND SORRENTO" BY RAFFAELE LAURO". Sorrento The Romance. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Cingoli ricorda Lucio Dalla Commozione al concerto di Ferragosto". Cronache Maceratesi. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "The Triumph Of Lucio Dalla In Sofia. A Crowd Of Bulgarian Figures, Spontaneous Applause And Intense Emotions At The Tribute Event Organised By The Italian Institute Of Culture Under The Patronage Of The President Of The Republic. Lauro: "There Is A Craving In The World For Italian Culture!"". Sorrento The Romance. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "MATERA, THE EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE 2019, TRIUMPHANTLY CELEBRATES THE RETURN OF LUCIO DALLA IN A BLAZE OF MEMORIES AND INTENSE EMOTIONS. EMOTIONAL PUBLIC DURING THE FRENCH NATIONAL ANTHEM. | Caruso The Song - Lucio Dalla e Sorrento". Caruso The Song. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "TRIBUTE OF MATERA, EUROPEAN CAPITAL OF CULTURE 2019, TO LUCIO DALLA (MATERA, NOVEMBER 20th, 2015) | Caruso The Song - Lucio Dalla e Sorrento". Caruso The Song. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "The Lions Club Di Castellammare Di Stabia Host Honours The Memory Of Lucio Dalla With A Debate Of High Cultural Level, Which Truly Involved The Public. Lauro Analyses The Difficult And Often Conflicting Relationship Of The Two City Realities, Castellammare Di Stabia And Sorrento, Both Loved By The Singer-Songwriter From Bologna | Caruso The Song - Lucio Dalla E Sorrento". Caruso The Song. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "LUCIO DALLA E SAN MARTINO VALLE CAUDINA - DIALOGHI | Caruso The Song - Lucio Dalla e Sorrento". Caruso The Song. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "LUCIO DALLA & SORRENTO TOUR | Caruso The Song - Lucio Dalla e Sorrento". Caruso The Song. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "THE "LUCIO DALLA AND SORRENTO TOUR" CONCLUDES IN SORRENTO ON 29TH FEBRUARY 2016, ON THE FOURTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE PASSING OF THE GREAT ARTIST. THE PUBLICATION OF THE COVER AND THE INTRODUCTION OF THE THIRD BOOK BY RAFFAELE LAURO ON LUCIO DALLA - Caruso The Song - Lucio Dalla e Sorrento". www.carusothesong.com. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "Il caffè di Raiuno del 29/02/2016". Rai. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "AN EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS OF THE CELEBRATION DAY IN SORRENTO DEDICATED TO LUCIO DALLA ON THE 4TH ANNIVERSARY OF HIS PASSING. APPLAUSES AND INTENSE EMOTIONS - Caruso The Song - Lucio Dalla e Sorrento". www.carusothesong.com. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- Caruso The Song (2016-03-05), TGR Campania (4/3/2016). Omaggio di Sorrento a Lucio Dalla. IV anniversario scomparsa, retrieved 2016-03-25
- "THE NEXT NOVEL (2016) | Caruso The Song - Lucio Dalla e Sorrento". Caruso The Song. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "LUCIO DALLA AT THE SOCIAL WORLD FILM FESTIVAL 2015 (VICO EQUENSE, 7TH JULY 2015): THE NATIONAL PREMIÈRE OF RAFFAELE LAURO'S FILM "LUCIO DALLA AND SORRENTO - PLACES OF THE SOUL"". carusothesong.com. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "THE PROGRAMME OF THE 5TH EDITION OF SOCIAL WORLD FILM FESTIVAL (VICO EQUENSE: 4-12 JULY 2015) IS NOW AVAILABLE. THE EVENING OF 7TH JULY DEDICATED TO LUCIO DALLA". carusothesong.com. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "A Beautiful Afternoon Of Intense Visual And Musical Emotions About Dalla At The Brotherhood Of Ss. Rosario In S. Agata Sui Due Golfi, With The Presence Of Mayor Of Massa Lubrense, Lorenzo Balducelli, And Deputy Mayor, Giovana Staiano. Affectionate Exchange Of Christmas Greetings Between Raffaele Lauro And The Brothers | Caruso The Song - Lucio Dalla E Sorrento". Caruso The Song. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Le onorificenze della Repubblica italiana". Quirinale.it. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "PREMI: AL PREFETTO LAURO E A LUCIO DALLA IL SORRENTO NEL MONDO". adnkronos.com. 22 November 2006. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "Raffaele Lauro receives the "International Award for Culture - Re Manfredi" for his merits in the field of culture and defence of the rule of law". carusothesong.com. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "PREFECT-WRITER RAFFAELE LAURO RECEIVES THE INTERNATIONAL CULTURE AWARD "RE MANFREDI" 2015 - FOR LEGALITY". carusothesong.com. Retrieved 16 August 2015.
- "TGR Campania (23/12/2015). San Martino Valle Caudina. Cittadinanza onoraria a Raffaele Lauro". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-03-01.