Ralph Ernest Powers
Ralph Ernest Powers (April 27, 1875 – January 31, 1952) was an American amateur mathematician who worked on prime numbers.
Soon after Powers announced the discovery of M107, the Frenchman E. Fauquembergue claimed that he had discovered it earlier, but many of Fauquembergue's other claims were later demonstrated as erroneous; thus, many prefer recognizing Powers as the discoverer, including the well-known Internet resource The Prime Pages.
- ‘The Tenth Perfect Number', American Mathematical Monthly, Vol. 18 (1911), pp. 195–7
- ’On Mersenne's Numbers', Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society, Vol. 13 (1914), p. xxxix
- 'A Mersenne Prime', Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 20, No. 10 (1914), p. 531
- ’Certain composite Mersenne's numbers', Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society Vol. 15 (1916), p. xxii
- (with D. H. Lehmer) 'On Factoring Large Numbers', Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 37. No. 10 (1931), pp. 770–76
- ’Note on a Mersenne Number', Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 40, No. 12 (1934), p. 883
- R. E. Powers (1911). "The Tenth Perfect Number". American Mathematical Monthly. 18: 195–7. doi:10.2307/2972574. JSTOR 2972574.
The article is signed "DENVER, COLORADO, June, 1911"
- http://plms.oxfordjournals.org/content/s2-13/1/1.1.full.pdf Proc. London Math. Soc. (1914) s2–13 (1): 1. Result presented at a meeting with London Mathematical Society on June 11, 1914. Retrieved 2016-04-17.
- R. E. Powers (1934). "Note on a Mersenne Number". Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society. 40: 883. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1934-05994-9.
- Obituary by D. H. Lehmer
- Hugh C. Williams (1998). Edouard Lucas and Primality Testing. Wiley. ISBN 978-0-471-14852-4.
- The Prime Pages website
- Mersenne and Fermat Numbers (Robinson); brief treatment of Powers
- The Tenth Perfect Number, an article by Powers announcing the primality of M89
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|