He was the chief executive officer (CEO) of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) until 30 November 2011. He was previously CEO of the ASB Bank, the Commonwealth Bank of Australia's New Zealand subsidiary. He left this role for several years to be the CEO of Air New Zealand before leaving to head the CBA.
Prior to being CEO at the ASB Bank, Norris was that company's chief information officer.
Norris is an Honorary Fellow of the Institute of IT Professionals, and an ambassador of the Australian Indigenous Education Foundation.
In 2006 New Year Honours Norris was appointed a Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to business. In the Special Honours 2009 Norris accepted redesignation as a Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit following the restoration of titular honours by the New Zealand government.
- "Highly charged AGM for Contact Energy". The New Zealand Herald. 9 December 2015.
- Rawson, Emma (21 May 2014). "Sir Ralph Norris shares his road to success". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Quinn, Cathy; Kavanagh, Lloyd (12 May 2017). "The great achiever". minterellison.co.nz. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- "New Year Honours 2006" (13 January 2006) 2 New Zealand Gazette 57.
- Special Honours List (12 August 2009) 118 New Zealand Gazette 2691
- Gibson, Nevil (1 August 2009). "Arise Sir... or Dame... for 70 on honours list". National Business Review. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
| chief executive officer
of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia
2005 – 2011
Ian M Narev