Rancho Cañada de Guadalupe la Visitación y Rodeo Viejo
Rancho Cañada de Guadalupe la Visitación y Rodeo Viejo (also called Ridley’s Rancho) was a 6,416-acre (25.96 km2) Mexican land grant in present day San Mateo County, California and San Francisco County, California given in 1841 by Governor Juan Alvarado to Jacob P. Leese. The rancho included three separate valleys: Cañada de Guadalupe, La Visitacion, and Rodeo Viejo. Rancho contained most of the present day San Bruno Mountain, the city of Brisbane, Guadalupe Valley, and Visitacion Valley.
Jacob Primer Leese (1809 - 1892), a trader from Ohio married María Rosalia Vallejo sister of General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo in 1837. Lesse, who first came to California in 1833, took possession of the land grant entitled Rancho Cañada de Guadalupe la Visitacion y Rodeo Viejo in 1838, three years before he received the official title to the land.
Around the year 1843, Lesse traded his two league grant to Robert T. Ridley (1818 - 1851) for the three league Rancho Collayomi in Lake County. Ridley was an English sailor who was captain of the Port of San Francisco, and had married Presentación Briones. Ridley never lived on the property nor developed it to any extent. Ridley died in 1851 and the land was sold at a sheriff's auction with 700 acres (3 km2) going to Robert E. Eaton and the rest to Alfred Wheeler. Alfred Wheeler (1822-1903) was a prominent San Francisco land title lawyer. ln 1865 Henry R. Payson acquired 5,473 acres (22 km2) which was soon subdivided, with the Visitacion Land Company acquiring the largest portion.
Central Pacific railroad magnate and banker Charles Crocker acquired 3,814 acres (15 km2) of the Rancho in 1884 and another 183 acres (1 km2) the following year. Crocker died in 1888 and the land became an asset of the Crocker Land Co. and then the Foremost McKesson Co.
- Ogden Hoffman, 1862, Reports of Land Cases Determined in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Numa Hubert, San Francisco
- Diseño del Rancho Cañada de Guadalupe la Visitacion y Rodeo Viejo
- Hoover, Mildred B.; Rensch, Hero; Rensch, Ethel; Abeloe, William N. (1966). Historic Spots in California. Stanford University Press. ISBN 978-0-8047-4482-9.
- United States. District Court (California : Northern District) Land Case 237 ND
- Alfred Wheeler San Francisco Land Titles, 1852.
- United States. District Court (California : Northern District) Land Case 285 ND
- Report of the Surveyor General 1844 - 1886
- United States. District Court (California : Northern District) Land Case 105 ND and 151 ND
- San Bruno Mountain