From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ransohoff, or Ransonov (Russian: Рансонов) is a family of mixed Jewish and Russian ancestry originating in Smolensk, of allegedly Rurikid descent. Notable individuals bearing this surname include:
- Mikhail Abramovich Ransohov (1758–1812), Russian military officer, killed at the Battle of Borodino. 
- Joseph Ransohoff (1915–2001), an American neurosurgeon, inventor, and former chairman of the New York University School of Medicine. 
- Daniel J. Ransohoff (1927–1993), Cincinnati-based photographer and political activist. 
- Martin Ransohoff (born 1927), a cinema and television producer. 
- Steven Ransohoff, co-president of Film Finances Inc., a completion bond finance company.
- 25469 Ransohoff, a planet named for the family.
- Ben Casey, an American medical drama series partially inspired by the life of Joseph Ransohoff.