Berlin University of the Arts|
Hasso Plattner Institute
|Occupation||Corporate communication, Design thinking|
|Movement||Human rights, Disability rights|
|Awards||Order of Merit of Germany|
Raúl Aguayo-Krauthausen (born 1980 in Lima, Peru) is a German disability rights activist. He studied Social and Economic Communication at the Berlin University of the Arts and Design Thinking at the HPI School of Design Thinking. He was awarded the Order of Merit of Germany and is an Ashoka Fellow.
Together with his cousin he founded the nonprofit organisation Sozialhelden in 2004. The organisation develops projects which address social issues and offer practical solutions in a spirit of diversity and inclusion. Their fundraising project Pfandtastisch helfen, which raises funds for other nonprofit organisations through donated bottle recycling receipts, received the Startsocial prize from Chancellor Angela Merkel in 2008. In 2010, Wheelmap.org, a crowdsourced online map for finding and marking wheelchair accessible places was launched by Sozialhelden. The map, which is available in 22 languages, is based on OpenStreetMap and operates under a Creative-Commons license.
In addition to his work for Sozialhelden Raúl Krauthausen co-founded Selfpedia.de in 2013, an online self-help community for questions and advice pertaining to life with a disability. Raúl Krauthausen is a frequent guest on talk shows and a popular interview partner for journalists regarding topics related to disability rights, accessibility and inclusion.
One of the newest Sozialhelden projects is Leidmedien.de, an online platform for journalists and others whose work involves the portrayal of people with disabilities. Through advocacy, articles, workshops and informational materials Leidmedien.de offers perspectives on life with a disability which steer away from stereotypes and clichés.
Raúl Krauthausen has osteogenesis imperfecta, also known as brittle bone disease, and uses a wheelchair.
- 2009: Deutscher Engagementpreis (German Prize for Engagement)
- 2010: Deutscher Bürgerpreis (German citizen Price)
- 2010: Appointment as Ashoka Fellow
- 2010: Inca-Award (Sozialhelden)
- 2011: Vodafone Smart Accessibility Award
- 2013: Order of Merit of Germany (Bundesverdienstkreuz am Bande) for his Engagement of Sozialhelden.
- German Prize for Engagement Archived 2015-01-29 at the Wayback Machine., Winners 2009, Retrieved 11 April 2013 (de)
- VZ Award-Winner: interview of Sozialhelden, Retrieved 11 April 2013
- Fellow: Raúl Krauthausen, germany.ashoka.org Retrieved 11 April 2013
- Winners of the INCA Award 2010, inca-award.eu, Retrieved 11 April 2013
- Vodafone Foundation Smart Accessibility Awards 2011 winners announced Retrieved 2 September 2014