Ray H. Altman
|Ray H. Altman|
|Kentucky State Representative from District 51 (now Taylor and Adair counties)|
January 1987 – December 1996
|Preceded by||Herman W. Rattliff|
|Succeeded by||Ricky Lee Cox|
November 1, 1943 |
|Spouse(s)||Vangie Barnes Altman|
|Children||Sons Jake and Zach Altman|
|Occupation||Insurance agency co-owner|
Altman is one of six children born to Joseph Leon Altman (1906—1996), an Oklahoma native, and the former Edna Noe (1908—1981), originally from Taylor County. Joseph and Edna married on Christmas Day 1925.
Altman was first elected as a Republican member of the Kentucky House of Representatives in 1986 to succeed the retiring Republican Herman Rattliff, a since retired Campbellsville businessman. Altman first represented Green and Metcalfe counties as well as Taylor. After the 1990 census, the district was shaped to include politically competitive Taylor and heavily Republican Adair County.
In 1990, Altman spoke out against a bill that would have banned smoking by students in Kentucky public schools. In 1988, the legislature had given local administrators the option to establish smoking zones for students. Altman said the proposed ban on smoking, which failed 10-3 in committee, was unneeded because superintendents already had the authority to ban smoking on school premises. Kentucky has traditionally led the nation in the number of adult smokers, and Altman's District 51 remains a tobacco-producing area.
Altman was usually unopposed in his reelection campaigns. He did not seek a sixth term in 1996.
- "Joseph Leon Altman Obit 1996". Boards.ancestry.com. Retrieved May 14, 2009.
- "Social Security Death Index". Ancestry.Rootsweb.com. Retrieved May 17, 2009.
- "Membership of Kentucky General Assembly, 1900-2000" (PDF). E-archives.ky.gov. Retrieved May 14, 2009.
- "Kentucky Rejects Bill to Bar School Smoking". The New York Times, January 25, 1990. January 25, 1990. Retrieved May 14, 2009.
- "Kentucky Executive Branch Ethics Commission, Biennial Report (2005-2007)". Ethics.ky.gov. Retrieved May 14, 2009.
Herman Willard Rattliff
|Kentucky State Representative from Campbellsville (District 51)
Ray Heistand Altman
Ricky Lee Cox