Ray Montgomery (umpire)
|Full name||Raymond Montgomery|
|Date of birth||1929|
|Date of death||1 August 2009|
|Other occupation||Railway worker
Ray Montgomery (1929–1 August 2009) was an Australian rules football umpire. Montgomery umpired in the West Australian National Football League (now known as the West Australian Football League) and the Victorian Football League.
He began his working life as a coach builder for the Western Australian Government Railways at the Midland Railway Workshops. After going to teacher's college he became an art teacher, becoming an Arts Master at Churchlands College.
Montgomery commenced umpiring football with Metropolitan Juniors in 1949.
Montgomery joined the WANFL umpiring panel in 1950 and was soon umpiring league football, making his debut in a match between East Fremantle and Swan Districts at Fremantle Oval in Round 4 of the 1952 season.
During Round 1 of the 1956 season Montgomery reported Jack Sheedy for using abusive language towards him, to which Sheedy responded at the tribunal by swearing on a bible that Montgomery had reported the wrong player. Despite the theatrics, Sheedy was found guilty of the charge.
In 1963 he made a complaint to the WANFL over an incident that occurred after he had umpired a match between East Fremantle and South Fremantle at East Fremantle Oval. He alleged that as he was walking out of the ground, a player drove a car toward him, attempting to run him over.
Later life and legacy
After retiring Montgomery took up bowls and was a member of the Manning Bowls Club for over three decades.
The award for best WAFL field umpire is named the Ray Montgomery Medal in his honour.
In 2002 Montgomery was named as one of three field umpires in the WANFL Umpires Association Team of the Half Century.
- "Football community mourns Montgomery". West Australian Football Commission. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- O'Donoghue, Craig (6 August 2009). "Monty a great of umpiring". The West Australian. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- Davidson, Ron (2008). Fremantle Impressions (2nd ed.). Fremantle Press. pp. 186–189. ISBN 1-921361-47-6.
- Head, Ron (5 August 2009). "Vale Ray Montgomery". Memory Lane. Footy Goss. Archived from the original on 11 July 2011. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "Montgomery". WAFL Online. West Australian Football Commission. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "East Perth - Part One: 1902 to 1960". Full Points Footy. Archived from the original on 28 March 2009. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- Devaney, John (2008). Full Points Footy's WA Football Companion. Lulu.com. p. 84. ISBN 0-9556897-1-6.
- "'Hit Run' Attempt - Car Claim By Umpire". Sydney Morning Herald. 18 April 1963. Retrieved 24 March 2010 – via Google News Archive.
- "Umpire Seeking League Ruling". The Age. 18 April 1963. Retrieved 24 March 2010 – via Google News Archive.
- "Montgomery New Umpire". The Age. 20 May 1965. Retrieved 24 March 2010 – via Google News Archive.
- "Career Field". Australian Football League Umpires Association. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "WANFLUA - Team of the Half Century". West Australian Football Commission. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "Hall of Fame Inductees". West Australian Football Commission. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "Raymond Montgomery". WA Football Hall of Fame. West Australian Football Commission. Retrieved 26 June 2015.