Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer
|Cover artist||Michael Whelan|
|Genre||Fantasy, short stories|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
|LC Class||CPB Box no. 2744 vol. 23|
Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer is a short story collection of dark fantasy retellings of popular fairytales by British author Tanith Lee. Contrary to what the title may suggest, it not only includes retellings of fairytales by the Brothers Grimm, but also by Charles Perrault, Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve or Alexander Afanasyev. The title story was nominated for a Nebula Award.
Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer contains the following tales:
- Paid Piper- Asia: The Last Century B.C. (retelling of The Pied Piper of Hamelin)
- Red as Blood- Europe: The Fourteenth Century (retelling of Snow White)
- Thorns- Eurasia: The Fifteenth Century (retelling of Sleeping Beauty)
- When The Clock Strikes- Europe: The Sixteenth Century (retelling of Cinderella)
- The Golden Rope- Europe: The Seventeenth Century (retelling of Rapunzel)
- The Princess And Her Future- Asia: The Eighteenth Century (retelling of The Frog Prince)
- Wolfland- Scandinavia: The Nineteenth Century (retelling of Little Red Riding Hood)
- Black As Ink- Scandinavia: The Twentieth Century (retelling of Swan Lake)
- Beauty- Earth: The Future (retelling of Beauty and the Beast)
In 2014, the book was released as an expanded edition including a new story, "The Waters of Sorrow", which had been previously published in 2011 on Weird Tales.
- Nickerson, Susan L. "Red as Blood (Book)." Library Journal 108.2 (15 Jan. 1983): 147.
|This article about a fantasy short story is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|