||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Renate "Rennie" Marie Simson was an American author and professor of African-American literature and writing. Her work has been influential in African American literature and identity studies. She wrote an essay on Black women's sexuality and identity, The Afro-American Female: The Historical Context of the Construction of Sexual Identity.
Her work posited that victimized black women often avoided intimacy altogether which affected their sexual identity causing them to become self-reliant.
She worked as the English department at SUNY Morrisville for several years. She published more than 30 articles and chapters and presented at over 50 conferences throughout in the United States and Austria. She pioneered a study abroad program focusing on the Austrian African Diaspora in Austria with the University of Graz. She was department chair of the Department of African American Studies at Syracuse University.
Simson died on February 19, 2017.
- Will the Real America Please Stand Up - 2008
- Afro-American Literature of the 19th Century: A Focus for the 80's - Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Northeast Regional Conference on English 
- The Unsung Past: Afro-American Women Writers of 19th Century - Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Council of Teachers of English (69th, San Francisco, CA, November 22–24, 1980) 
- Politics and the race issue as presented in the works of Afro American women writers of the 19th century (Afro scholar working papers) - 1982
- Nicholson, L.J. (1997). The Second Wave: A Reader in Feminist Theory. 1. Routledge. p. 178. ISBN 9780415917612. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- MacKinnon, C.A. (1989). Toward a Feminist Theory of the State. Harvard University Press. p. 282. ISBN 9780674896468. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- Hames-Garcia, Michael “Can Queer Theory be critical?”, New Critical theory: essays on liberation; accessed February 27, 2017.
- Anderson, K. (1997). Changing Woman: A History of Racial Ethnic Women in Modern America. Oxford University Press. p. 172. ISBN 9780198022138. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- "faculty profiles redirect". as-cascade.syr.edu. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- Simson Renate and Holly, "The African diaspora and Austria", The Department of African American Studies Newsletter 2007–2008, p. 20.
- HomanRodoski, Kelly (2017-02-23). "AAS Professor Renate ‘Rennie’ Simson Remembered for Her Many Contributions". Syracuse University. Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- "Afro-American Literature of the 19th Century: A Focus for the 80s/Rennie Simson | National Library of Australia". catalogue.nla.gov.au. Retrieved 2017-01-25.
- "The Unsung Past: Afro-American Women Writers of 19th Century / Renate Simson | National Library of Australia". catalogue.nla.gov.au. Retrieved 2017-01-25.