A research site is a place where people conduct research. Common research sites include universities, hospitals, research institutes, and field research locations.
In clinical research a research site conducts all or part of a clinical trial. For clinical trials which recruit research participants in multiple locations, often the research will have a headquarters then multiple regional research sites to conduct the research in that region. In a network of research sites where all are recruiting study participants, sites with low recruitment benefit from coaching from sites with high recruitment.
Characteristics of good clinical research sites include setting good timelines, early participant recruitment, and having a management plan for efficiency.
Researchers in nursing have reported challenges accessing the facilities designated for conventional medical research.
The design of a research site should have a means of detecting fraud.
Researchers who do not have a cultural tie to a research population may have difficulty doing ethnographic research with that community.
- Johnson, MR; Kenworthy-Heinige, T; Beck, DJ; Asghar, A; Broussard, EB; Bratcher, K; Tommessilli, LM; Antonelli, M; Planeta, BM (March 2018). "Research site mentoring: A novel approach to improving study recruitment". Contemporary clinical trials communications. 9: 172–177. doi:10.1016/j.conctc.2018.01.011. PMID 29696240.
- Baer, AR; Bridges, KD; O'Dwyer, M; Ostroff, J; Yasko, J (September 2010). "Clinical research site infrastructure and efficiency". Journal of oncology practice. 6 (5): 249–52. doi:10.1200/JOP.000109. PMID 21197190.
- Høyland, S; Hollund, JG; Olsen, OE (February 2015). "Gaining access to a research site and participants in medical and nursing research: a synthesis of accounts". Medical education. 49 (2): 224–32. doi:10.1111/medu.12622. PMID 25626753.
- Knott, Carol; Henderson, Joanne; Bowman, Louise; Landray, Martin (16 November 2015). "Investigating possible fraudulent activity at a research site". Trials. 16 (S2). doi:10.1186/1745-6215-16-S2-P193.
- "3b- Selecting a Research Site". www.engagingcommunities.org.