Rex Black (born July 16, 1964) is a software engineer, entrepreneur and an author in the field of software testing. Black graduated from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) in 1990 with a Bachelor of Science in computer science and engineering. In 1983, Black started work in the software engineering field and has spent more than 20 years in software testing.
Black is chief executive officer and founder of RBCS, Inc. Black has also taught courses in managing the testing process at the University of Texas at Austin Center for Lifelong Engineering Education and is an adjunct faculty member and course developer of business analysis and software testing curricula for Villanova University. He serves on editorial board of Software Test & Performance Magazine.
Software quality advocacy
From April 2005 to April 2009, Black served as president of the International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB), an international group of 40 international boards responsible for the international qualification scheme called "ISTQB Certified Tester." Black also co-authored the ISTQB Advanced Syllabus (released in July 2007), and is vice chair of the Working Party Foundation Level ISTQB Syllabus.
From January 2005 to January 2008, Black was president of the American Software Testing Qualifications Board (ASTQB), a branch of the International Software Testing Qualification Board. He currently sits on the ASTQB Board of Directors.
Black served on the Program Committee and as a Session Chair for the Third World Congress on Software Quality in Munich in September 2005. He’s also presented at the 2008 World Congress on Software Quality in Maryland and the 2009-2013, Software Testing Conference (Softec09 and SoftecAsia13) in Kuala Lumpur.
- Black, Rex (April 2009). Managing the Testing Process: Practical Tools and Techniques for Managing Hardware and Software Testing, 3e. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. ISBN 0-470-40415-9.
- Black, Rex (July 2011). Advanced Software Testing: Volume 3. Santa Barbara: Rocky Nook Publisher. ISBN 1-933952-39-3.
- Black, Rex (December 2008). Advanced Software Testing: Volume 2. Santa Barbara: Rocky Nook Publisher. ISBN 1-933952-36-9.
- Black, Rex (October 2008). Advanced Software Testing: Volume 1. Santa Barbara: Rocky Nook. ISBN 1-933952-19-9.
- Black, Rex (January 2008). Foundations of Software Testing. Salt Lake City: Thomson. ISBN 1-84480-989-7.
- Black, Rex (February 2007). Pragmatic Software Testing: Becoming an Effective and Efficient Test Professional. New York: Wiley. ISBN 0-470-12790-2.
- Black, Rex (August 2003). Critical Testing Processes: Plan, Prepare, Perform, Perfect. London: Addison-Wesley. ISBN 0-201-74868-1. (Includes Indian, Chinese, Russian, and Japanese editions.)
- Black, Rex (July 2002). Managing the Testing Process: Practical Tools and Techniques for Managing Hardware and Software Testing, 2e. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. ISBN 0-471-22398-0.
- Black, Rex (June 1999). Managing the Testing Process, 1e, “Best Practices” series. New York: Microsoft Press. ISBN 0-7356-0584-X.
- Black, Rex (2010-01-27). "How to Develop Effective Application Test Teams". eWeek. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- Black, Rex (2010-11-16). "Testing the Limits With Rex Black – Part I". uTest. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- Black, Rex (2010-11-16). "Factors that Influence Test Estimation". StickyMinds. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- Black, Rex (2007-05-31). "Measuring Confidence along the Dimensions of Test Coverage" (PDF). RBCS. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- "Tech-savvy entrepreneur bolsters clients’ computing powers", San Antonio Business Journal, by Mike W. Thomas, 7-17-2009.
- "Testing Experience Magazine", Managing the Testing Process and other book recommendations, Retrieved 8-18-2009.
- "Advance Software Testing", Barnes and Nobles, Retrieved 8-18-2009.
- "Focus on Rex Black, Expert Software Test Practitioner & Author: A CAI State of the Practice Interview", Computer Aid Inc., CAI Journal, July 2006.
- "OTN Interview with Rex Black: Automation, ISTQB certification & Industry Trends", Oracle technology Network, by Marina Gil-Santamaria, Published July 2008.
- "The Right Stuff: Four Small Steps for Testers, One Giant Leap for Risk Mitigation", Better Software Magazine, by Rex Black and Barton Layne, April 2007.
- Center for Lifelong Engineering Education, The University of Texas at Austin, Retrieved 8-18-2009.
- Business Analysis Staff & Faculty, Villanova University, Retrieved 8-18-2009.
- Software Test and Performance Collaborative, Software Test & Performance magazine, Retrieved 8-18-2009.
- “We’re all part of the story”, Software Test & Performance, by David Strom, "Get to Know Your ASTQB Board" (6-11-2012), Retrieved 6-11-2012.
- Interview with Rex Black, British Computer Society (BCS), by Youssef Bouguerra, January 2009.
- "Quality Software and Testing, Good and Practical Ideas for Testers"
- Certified Tester Advanced Level Syllabus, ISTQB, 10-12-2007.
- Working Party Foundation Level, ISTQB, Last updated 4-7-2009, Retrieved 8-18-2009.
- Board of Directors, American Software Testing Qualifications Board, Inc., Retrieved 8-18-2009.
- Third World Congress on Software Quality Program, Sept. 26-30, 2005, Retrieved 8-18-2009.
- 2008 World Congress for Software Quality brochure, Sept. 15-18, 2008, Retrieved 8-18-2009.
- "Malaysia to become regional software testing hub: SOFTEC09", Computer World, 11-3-2009.