Ricardo Mbarkho in 2011
25 January 1974 |
|Education||Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA, USA
École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts, Paris, France
Institut supérieur des beaux-arts, Beirut
|Known for||Video art
New Media Art
Mbarkho's work includes multiple outcomes especially digital art practices.
In his digital images as well as in his time-based work, he investigates multiple questions related to language, communication, cultural industries, history of art as well as the visual representation within the sociopolitical sphere. Mbarkho's digital images are made from texts. He uses the computer as a tool to mutate texts into images; the text's binary codes are transposed into a unique corresponding visual.
Mbarkho received his art diplomas from École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts and École supérieure d'études cinématographiques, Paris, and from Institut supérieur des beaux-arts, Beirut. He also completed an exchange study program at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
He lives and works in Beirut.
- Mbarak, Ricardo, "Pour une double définition des relations entre création médiatique et industries culturelles", in Al Hikma journal, 3rd period, Eighth year, Number 14, October 2015
- Mbarkho, Ricardo, Dussolier, Claudine, Nawar, Abdo. Presentation of RAMI Platform in Lebanon, 2014
- Mbarkho, Ricardo, Response to With the benefit of hindsight, what role does new media play in artistic practices, activism, and as an agent for social change in the Middle East and North Africa today?], Ibraaz online forum, 2012
- Mbarkho, Ricardo, "Trauma Stimulated Art, or the Embodiment of Affect in Lebanon: An Allegory”, in Traumatic Affect. Cambridge Scholars Publishers, 2013
- Mbarkho, Ricardo, “On New Media and Creativity in Lebanon”, Leonardo, Journal of the International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology, Volume 45, Numéro 2, The MIT Press, 2012
- Mbarkho, Ricardo, On New Media and Creativity in the Lebanese Setting: 2008–2011, published by The MIT Press in Leonardo Electronic Almanac (LEA), 2011
- Mbarkho, Ricardo, Lecture in “Conferences on the History and the Future of the Internet" – WJ-SPOTS, 10 June 2011
- Mbarkho, Ricardo, “A different kind of media creativity in the Lebanon”, in Cultures and Globalization Series 2009 : Cultural Expression, Creativity & Innovation. SAGE Ed. 2010
- Mbarkho, Ricardo, Introduction to Art and New Media in the Arab States, with a case-study of Lebanon, in Visual Narratives from Arabia – Online Master Module on Art, Design and Technology. © UNESCO, 2008
- TURBULENCES VIDÉO #69 by VIDEOFORMES, October 2010
- Soucheyre, Gabriel. Video portrait of Ricardo Mbarkho, VIDEOFORMES, October 2010
- Forest, Fred. Art et Internet, Ed. Cercle d'Art, 2008. P 19 and PP 64–65
- Tasso, Alain. Ricardo Mbarkho : Des pixels ou les improbables flots d’émotions, Agenda Culturel, May 2012