|Born||September 23, 1947|
February 8, 2017 (aged 69)|
Richard DuFour (September 23, 1947 – February 8, 2017) was an American educational researcher noted for developing strategies to create collaborative teaching environments in K–12 schools.
DuFour was principal of Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire, Illinois, from 1983 to 1991, and district superintendent from 1991 to 2002. During his tenure, Stevenson High School become the only public high school in Illinois recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School three times.
DuFour consulted to school districts, professional organizations, universities, and departments of education throughout North America.
In Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best Practices for Enhancing Student Achievement (1998), DuFour outlined strategies for creating "professional learning communities" (PLCs) in K–12 schools. DuFour linked increases in student performance to schools where there was a shared vision of leadership, where each member of the teaching-learning community contributed, and where teachers collectively planned activities and then reflect together upon completion.
DuFour further identified the characteristics of a PLC in Getting Started: Reculturing Schools to Become Professional Learning Communities (2002). These schools had collaborative teams, demonstrated collective inquiry, had an action orientation and willingness to experiment, desired continuous improvement, were results-oriented, and exhibited a shared mission, vision, and values.
In Whatever it Takes (2004), DuFour outlined strategies undertaken in schools that refuse to let students fail.
DuFour authored eight books, three video-resources, and over 40 professional articles. He also served as a columnist for the Journal of Staff Development.
DuFour was awarded the "Van Miller Distinguished Scholar Practitioner Award" by the Illinois Association of School Administrators in 2000.
Executive Educator magazine named Dufour one of the "Top 100 School Administrators in North America".
- Sagendorph, Marcia (May 12, 2000). "District 125 Superintendent Wins State Award". Chicago Tribune.
- Melvin, Lonnie (2011). How to Keep Good Teachers and Principals: Practical Solutions to Today's Classroom Problems. Rowman & Littlefield.
- "Professional Learning Communities". Maine Department of Education. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- Marshall, Kim (2013). Rethinking Teacher Supervision and Evaluation. John Wiley & Sons.
- "The Power of Professional Learning Communities at Work" (PDF). Orange County Department of Education. 2008.
- "House Resolution 92_HR0836". Illinois House of Representatives. April 25, 2002.
- "Richard DuFour, Renowned Author and Educator, Dies at 69". Yahoo!. Marketwired. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 9, 2017.
- Smith, Katie (February 8, 2017). "Former Stevenson superintendent dies". Daily Herald. Retrieved February 9, 2017.