This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Dunedin, New Zealand|
Emerson's Brewery Limited is a microbrewery located in Dunedin, New Zealand established in 1992. Emerson's produces eight year-round beers and three seasonal beers. In November 2012 the brewery was purchased by Australasian company Lion, which in turn is owned by Japanese brewing giant Kirin.
When Richard Emerson travelled to Scotland with his parents in 1983 he was first introduced to European style beers. After spending a year in Edinburgh, he returned to New Zealand and became disillusioned with New Zealand beers. This lead him to brew for himself.
Emerson’s beers are not pasteurised like most mainstream New Zealand beers. The yeast is left alive in the beer to mature and enhance the flavour of the beer. Emerson’s ales are produced from malted barley, hops, yeast and water. They do not have preservatives, added sugar, artificial colouring, have not been pasteurised and some are not filtered.
Some Emerson’s beers are presented in French oak barrels. Pints are sometimes available on hand pump, ensuring that the beer is served at the correct level of carbonation, eliminating gassy beer.
Emerson's Brewery beers include London Porter, 1812 India Pale Ale, Weissbier, Pilsner, Bookbinder Bitter, Old 95, Maris Gold and Oatmeal Stout.
Taieri George, a 6.8% Belgian-inspired spiced ale, is released every year on 6 March, the birthday of Richard Emerson's father George. It is a bottle-conditioned ale that includes nutmeg, cinnamon and an unnamed spice in its ingredients.
The JP is a Belgian ale introduced as a commemorative tribute to University of Otago food scientist Jean-Pierre Dufour. Sales from the beer assist in funding an Otago University student scholarship established by Emerson's in February 2007. JP is produced annually in June and each vintage reflects a different Belgian beer style.
Southern Clam Stout is a stout brewed with the additional of locally-sourced littleneck hard clams.
The company also produces several beers in the American Pale Ale style.
Whiskey Porter is an infusion of dark ale and whisky, achieved by maturing a batch of London Porter in whisky over the course of three to four months. Dunkelweizen is another release.
The quality of Emerson's beers was praised by English beer critic Michael Jackson, who rated the 1812 India Pale Ale as one of the best 500 beers in the world. Emerson's has won numerous beer awards in Australia and New Zealand.
- "Emerson's sold to Lion NZ which is owned by Japan brewing giant Kirin". 3 News NZ. 6 November 2012.
- Michael Jackson Column Archived 7 August 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Real Beer New Zealand :: Beer Writer - Neil Miller Archived 15 February 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Results - The Australian International Beer Awards - Melbourne, Australia,alcohol,beer,brewers,brewing, competition, beer festival,beverage,drinking,premium,lager,ale,light ale,dark ale,stout,low strength alcohol,mid strength alcohol,wheat beer,specialty ales,bottled beer,canned beer Archived 26 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "New Zealand International Beer Awards - Prestigious World Class Beer Competition". Archived from the original on 15 May 2006. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "New Zealand International Beer Awards - Prestigious World Class Beer Competition". Archived from the original on 23 February 2006. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "The Godfather of New Zealand beer". The New Zealand Herald. 1 July 2016. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Emerson's unveil $25m brewery". Stuff. 21 June 2016. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Into the Lion's den". Stuff. 12 January 2016. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- McAvinue, Shawn (28 May 2016). "Patrons soon able to smell the hops". Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 26 September 2016.