A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Richard Laermer (born September 16, 1961 in Queens, New York) is the author of eight books and CEO of RLM Public Relations, a PR firm he founded in 1991. He lived in New York, Connecticut, and La Quinta, California.
Laermer's book Full Frontal PR has been used as a text in public relations courses at universities including Georgia Southern, and he is quoted as a reference on marketing effectiveness, marketing strategy, consumerism, advertising and "no comment." Laermer's Native's Guide to New York was called a "top three NYC guide" by the Guardian.
In 2007, Laermer was inducted into the PR News Hall of Fame.
Laermer graduated from Pace University in 1983.
Prior to founding RLM Public Relations, Laermer was a freelance reporter. He authored articles for the Washington Post, New York Times, New York Daily News, Reuters, USA Today, New York magazine, Saturday Review, New York Observer, Us Magazine, Interview, New York Post, Chief Executive, and Editor & Publisher.
Laermer also served as the director of public affairs for Columbia Business School from 1989 to 1991.
Laermer co-authors the Bad Pitch Blog. In 2007, the Bad Pitch Blog won an Award of Commendation in the Blog category from the Public Relations Society of America. Bad Pitch Blog is ranked No. 359 in the Ad Age Power150. In May, 2009, it was named one of the "Top 10 Public Relations Blogs" by Cision.
The 2011:Trendspotting blog was named a "Blog I Can't Live Without" in the February 11, 2009 edition of Revolution Magazine (MediaWeek).
Laermer also contributes regularly to the Huffington Post.
- 2011: Trendspotting for the Next Decade (2008; McGraw-Hill)
- Punk Marketing: Get Off Your Ass and Join the Revolution, co-authored with Mark Simmons (author) (2007; HarperCollins) (2009)
- Full Frontal PR: Building Buzz About Your Business, Your Product, or You (2003; Bloomberg Press) (2004)
- Native's Guide to New York: Advice With Attitude for People Who Live Here—And Visitors We Like (2002; W. W. Norton & Company) (2001) (2000) (1999) (1998)
- Trendspotting: Think Forward, Get Ahead, Cash in on the Future (2002; Perigee Trade)
- Get on with It: The Gay and Lesbian Guide to Getting Online (1997; Broadway Books)
- Gay and Lesbian Guide to New York City (1994; Plume)
- Bargain Hunting in Greater New York (1990; Prima Lifestyles)
In 2005, Laermer co-hosted "Taking Care of Business", a series produced by Granada Productions that aired on TLC. In it, five business experts provided advice to struggling small businesses. The series premiered on October 16, 2005 and aired for 13 weeks.
- "RLM Public Relations". Rlmpr.com. October 5, 2010. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "The guide to the guides" (Guardian)
- "''PR News'' Hall of Fame" (PDF). Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Gulf oil spill, Haiti, Darfur: Hollywood stars rush to do their bit" (Christian Science Monitor)
- "BP, Toyota flunk damage control" MSNBC
- "Reality TV Stars Turned Entrepreneurs" Forbes
- "Saying No, No, No to the Ho-Ho-Ho" New York Times
- "Why Won't We Read the Manual?" Washington Post
- Armour, Stephanie (October 18, 2007). "Technology makes porn easier to access at work". USA Today. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- ""Do We Have Real Superstars Anymore?" (E!)". Eonline.com. February 6, 2010. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "A year later, questions still loom over Octomom" Associated Press[dead link]
- "Tiger Woods' "Canned Apology" Draws Mixed Reactions"". Us Magazine. February 19, 2010. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Elliott, Stuart (December 3, 2009). "Tropicana discovers some buyers are passionate about packaging". The New York Times. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Columnby Michelle Goodman (April 23, 2009). "Why Sucking Up Won't Save Your Job". Abcnews.go.com. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Moran, Gwen (November 14, 2008). "Be Your Own Trend Spotter". Entrepreneur. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "'Bailout' by another name sounds sweeter". Washington Times. October 1, 2008. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "J. Lo Takes a Drubbing". New York Post. August 17, 2008. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Young, Lauren (October 29, 2007). "Grown-Ups: Embrace Your Inner Goblin". BusinessWeek. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Ad Age Power150
- "Cision Navigator, May 7, 2009". Navigator.cision.com. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Blogs I Can't Live Without". MediaWeek. February 11, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Struggling Small Businesses Undergo Big Changes in TLC's New Series TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS" (PR Newswire)
- RLM Public Relations
- Bad Pitch Blog
- 2011: Trendspotting for the Next Decade
- Full Frontal PR
- Punk Marketing
Articles by Laermer
Articles about Laermer
Reviews of Books by Laermer
2011: Trendspotting for the Next Decade
Full Frontal PR