LaGravenese in September 2017
|Born||October 30, 1959|
New York City, U.S.
LaGravenese was born in Brooklyn, New York, the son of a taxi driver. He is of Italian descent. He graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in 1980 with a bachelor of fine arts degree in acting.
In New York City during the early 1980s, billed as "The Double R" comedy duo, in collaboration with playwright Richard O’Donnell, LaGravenese co-penned and consecutively performed in several Off-Off-Broadway productions including Spare Parts, Blood-brothers" at The 78th Street Theatre Lab, The Lion Theatre, and West Bank Cafe.
LaGravanese wrote an adaptation for the famously one-and-off version of the musical Gypsy for Barbra Streisand. In 2015, he revealed that he'd spent several months working on the script with Streisand. "I had the best time with her. I can’t even tell you. It was like a fantasy come true. I did my first draft and went to her house to do rewrites. She’s so meticulous in the best possible way. We went through it page by page by page."
|1989||Rude Awakening||David Greenwalt
|1991||The Fisher King||Terry Gilliam||Nominated- Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay|
Nominated- BAFTA Award for Best Original Screenplay
Nominated- Saturn Award for Best Writing
|1994||The Ref||Ted Demme|
|1995||A Little Princess||Alfonso Cuaron|
|The Bridges of Madison County||Clint Eastwood|
|Unstrung Heroes||Diane Keaton|
|1996||The Mirror Has Two Faces||Barbra Streisand|
|1998||The Horse Whisperer||Robert Redford|
|Living Out Loud||Himself|
|2006||Paris, je t'aime||Himself||Segment Pigalle|
|P.S. I Love You|
|2011||Water for Elephants||Francis Lawrence|
|Behind the Candelabra||Steven Soderbergh||Nominated- BAFTA Award for Best Original Screenplay|
|2014||The Last Five Years||Himself|
|Unbroken||Angelina Jolie||Co-written with the Coen Brothers and William Nicholson|
|2016||The Comedian||Taylor Hackford|
He is the creator of The Divide and wrote all but one episode.
- In 2009, Showtime was developing an hour-long TV drama series written by LaGravenese about an open marriage.
- "Richard Lagravenese Biography (1959?-)". FilmReference.com. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
Born October 30, 1959 (some sources say 1960)...
- Hornaday, Ann (March 27, 1994). "Film; Still Speaking After Writing 'The Ref'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- "Primetime Emmy Nominees > And the Tisch nominees are..." Tisch School of the Arts. 2013. Archived from the original on 2013-12-15. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
Outstanding Writing For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Dramatic Special ... Richard LaGravenese ’80 (BFA, Acting)
- "The 64th Academy Awards (1992) Nominees and Winners". Oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-08-02.
- Frankel, Daniel (January 6, 2009). "Showtime in bed with LaGravenese". Variety.
7. ^Jeremy Kinser (February 13, 2015) ‘The Last Five Years’ Director On His Heartbreaking New Musical And Working On ‘Gypsy’ With Barbra Streisand'