Richard Yoo speaking at AIR Houston 2007 as chair
|Born||Houston, Texas, United States|
Born in Houston, Texas, Yoo graduated from Alief Hastings High School in Houston and attended Trinity University as a pre-med student in San Antonio, Texas. Although he did not graduate from Trinity, he operates as an advisor to the university's computer science department.
Cymitar Network Systems was Yoo's first start-up. The small Internet service provider was launched in 1996 and was run out of his garage apartment while attending college. From there, Yoo continued his entrepreneurial endeavors and co-founded Rackspace in 1998 and initially operated as its CEO.
Today, Yoo is an active advisor for Inventables in Chicago, Illinois and is a mentor for I/O Ventures in San Francisco, California. Additionally, he operates as a judge in the Rice University Business Plan Competition (RBPC), is a Houston Technology Center’s Emerging Technology Council member, was a Chair for the Accessibility Internet Rally for Houston, and is an advisory board member of the Children's Museum of Houston.
Yoo has recently invested in a new a start up named Perceptual Networks located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- "Web Server Clustering". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Entrepreneur passes over Austin and picks Bayou City as he continues to develop ideas such as Natuba.com". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "TED Conferences Past TEDs > TED2005 > Feedback". Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "Rackspace". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "The Big Kahuna Hits the Beach". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Rackspace Confirms $400 Million IPO". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Next Tech IPO: Rackspace Going Public On NYSE". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Cuckoo for Customers". Retrieved 2010-03-20.
- "8 Experts Predict How Web 2.0 Will Evolve In 2009". Retrieved 2010-03-20.
- "Richard Yoo – Rackspace Hosting and ServerBeach". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Rackspace Founder Launches New Company Offering Personal Dedicated Servers". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Interview with Patrick Condon of Rackspace Managed Hosting". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Inventables - Advisors". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "I/O Ventures Partners". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- Rice University Business Plan Competition
- "CrunchBase - Richard Yoo". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Houstonist Tech Buzz - 091607". Retrieved 2010-01-21.
- "Children's Museum of Houston Board of Directors". Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "Past SXSW Interactive Festival Speakers". Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "HotOrNot Founder Launches Mobile, Social App Perceptual Networks, Raises $1M From First Round, Steve Chen, Max Levchin And Others". Retrieved 2012-09-28.