Richlands High School (Richlands, Virginia)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Richlands High School|
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Tazewell County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Navy & White|
|Rival Schools||Tazewell High School
Graham High School
|Athletic Conference||Southwest District
- The 2006 History TCAC (Tazewell County Academic Competition) team won their competition.
- The 2007 Science TCAC team tied with the Tazewell Team (4 - 2) but in the end Tazewell had more points giving them the trophy.
The Richlands Blue Tornados have won two different VHSL AA State Championships and numerous Regional and District Championships in a variety of sports.
The Richlands Football team had posted an outstanding 33 game regular season win streak lasting from the 2004 season to the '07 season and 3 state championship game appearances. With 2 undefeated regular seasons in that time period, along with the "Perfect Storm" of 14-0 in the 2006 campaign culminating in a state championship, they have been marked with much recent success.
State Football Champions 1992 & 2006
State Softball Champions 1995 & 1996
The Richlands High School Blue Tornado Band has won many awards including overall best band at the AT&T Cotton Bowl and 12 Virginia Honor Band titles. The Band has also participated in 2 of Philadelphia's Thanksgiving Day Parade and the Inaugural Parades of multiple Virginia Governors.
The Tornado yearbook has won several honors in past years. The 2009 "Taking the World by Storm" book won a first place VHSL Award and Taylor Publishing National Yearbook Honorable Mention. The 2010 "Notorious" book also won a first place VHSL Award.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Mike Compton - American football center for the Detroit Lions and the New England Patriots.
- Matt McGlothlin - an undrafted Free Agent for the Kansas City Chiefs.
- Richard Cranwell - Chairman of the Democratic Party of Virginia
- Sandra Whitt, Colonel, US Army Retired. 1st woman to command a battalion at Ft. Jackson, SC (1983–85); 1st woman to command the US Army Troop Support Agency European Commissary Region (1990–91).
- William P. Liddle - USS Liddle DE-206/APD-60 of the US Navy was named in honor of Pharamict's Mate Third Class William P. Liddle (1919–1942) who was killed in action while serving with the 1st Marine Division during the Battle of Guadalcanal August 1942, Liddle was posthumously awarded the Silver Star.
- William Blankenship - Retired US Army Sargeant Major; Member of US Army Markmanship Team. Winner of six national championships and four world championship for pistol shooting.
- Richlands High School website
- Listen Live
- "Democratic Party of Virginia Party Chair". vademocrats.org. Archived from the original on January 28, 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-05.