This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Leong obtained his BFA from the University of Victoria. Leong obtained his master's degree in Fine Arts from Concordia University in 2007. His thesis was immediately acquired by the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, affirming his emerging practice.
Leong uses the visual language of the landscape in his art practice as a means to explore psychological, phenomenological and ontological themes. He is intrigued in the relationship between these fields of study in terms of how we construct and use visual language through gestalt, in the nature of perception and the dynamic between the objective and the subjective, and how these relationships form such a curious combination of similar yet diverse arrays of experience.
Notable exhibitions include Realities Folies at Open Space, Victoria, BC (2015); Nemophily at Evans Contemporary, Peterborough, ON (2014); Sleepwalking Daydreams at Parisian Laundry, Montreal, QC (2014); Sublimation of Self at Anna Leonowens Gallery, Halifax, NS (2012); Hybrid Vigour at Parisian Laundry, Montreal, QC (2012); The Phenomenology of Dusk at the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, Victoria, BC (2012); Space & Time at Parisian Laundry, Montreal, QC (2011); La terre est bleue comme une orange at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal, QC (2010); The Third Meaning at RH Gallery, New York, NY (2010); The Wilderness at McClure Gallery, Montreal, QC (2010); I am Nature at Parisian Laundry, Montreal, QC and La biennale de Montréal, Montreal, QC (2009). In 2008, he was a finalist in the Royal Bank of Canada's Painting Competition, touring at venues such as the National Gallery of Canada, the Power Plant (Toronto), and the Contemporary Art Gallery (Vancouver).
Leong's work can be found in private and corporate collections including the Canada Council Art Bank, the Canadian Art Foundation, the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec, as well as the permanent collection at The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. Other collections include the Aldo Group, Collect' Art, Senvest and Caisse de Depot.
- Rick Leong: The Wilderness
- Rick Leong and David Six
- BNL MTL 09
- Preview David Six and Rick Leong
- Rick Leong: artist profile
- East Meets West: Painter Rick Leong's work is an enchanted blend of the mythic and visceral
- Rick Leong, Parisian Laundry
- Paintings by Rick Leong
- Ten artists first-time buyers should invest in now
- "Realities Follies | Open Space". www.openspace.ca. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Evans Contemporary". Evans Contemporary. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Sleepwalking Daydreams - Parisian Laundry". www.parisianlaundry.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- Square, Anna Leonowens Gallery Granville; Street, 1891 Granville; location!, Halifax Downtown NS 44 65018;-63 57481 902-494-8223 Be the first to review this. "Rick Leong: The Sublimation of Self". The Coast Halifax. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Hybrid Vigour - Parisian Laundry". www.parisianlaundry.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "Rick Leong: The Phenomenology of Dusk | Art Gallery of Greater Victoria". aggv.ca. Retrieved 2015-12-04.