Rivers railway station
|Location||Hwy 250 & Hwy 25, Rivers, Manitoba
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Previous names||Grand Trunk Pacific Railway|
The Rivers railway station is on the Canadian National Railway mainline in Rivers, Manitoba, in the centre of town. The station is served by Via Rail's The Canadian three times per week in each direction. The station operates as a flag stop with 48-hour advance notice.
The station was originally built in 1917 for the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. The station building is a 1½ story structure made of concrete to halfway up the first story, brick to the roof line. The station building was closed in the 1990s, however trains continued to serve the community as a flag stop. The station was designated a national historic site in 1992. A local community group is working on restoring the building.
In 2008, Via Rail (Via) relocated its facilities serving The Canadian from Brandon North railway station (located 23 km away) to the Rivers railway station.
On March 1, 2011, Via passengers traveling east were stranded for 15 hours due to a Canadian National freight train becoming disabled near Rivers. The line was reopened, but this delay suspended Via's service between Winnipeg and Toronto in both directions. Consequently, Via had to make arrangements to accommodate about 70 affected passengers, including providing alternate transportation for them. Regular service was expected to resume the following Thursday for the Winnipeg to Toronto route, and on the next Saturday for the opposite direction.
- "Canadian National Railways Station". Heritage Properties. Historical Places - A Joint Federal, Provincial and Territorial Initiative. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- Via Expands Station Services in Rivers, Manitoba Press Release Wednesday, 31 December 2008
- "Disabled freight train strands Via passengers". Retrieved 3 Mar 2011.
- Via's services between Toronto and Winnipeg affected by freight train mechanical failure. Via Rail Canada - Press Release, March 2, 2011. Retrieved 3 Mar 2011.
- Passenger train service suspended. CBC News, March 2, 2011. Retrieved 3 Mar 2011.
- Via Passengers Stranded At Rivers. Retrieved 3 Mar 2011.
- "Broken freight train causes Via Rail to stop service between Toronto, Winnipeg". Retrieved 3 Mar 2011.
Media related to Rivers railway station at Wikimedia Commons