Roadkill Ghost Choir
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Roadkill Ghost Choir
|Genres||Indie rock, Alternative rock|
|Years active||2011 - 2019|
Roadkill Ghost Choir is an American alternative rock band from DeLand, Florida.
In January 2014 they performed on Late Night with David Letterman, and have had notable appearances at Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza and Governors Ball festivals. In August 2014, the band released their debut full-length album In Tongues, produced by Doug Boehm (Powderfinger, The Vines, Booker T. Jones).
Their sound has been described as "combining the experimental edge of Radiohead and the dusty roots-rock of Tom Petty, tailor-made for arena-sized, prog-rock festivals and grassy, pastoral stages alike."
Forming in 2011, the band released their debut EP, Quiet Light, in 2012. Self-released, the mastering and printing of the record was supported by a successful Kickstarter campaign. “Quiet Light” premiered on Consequence of Sound and received positive critical acclaim from outlets such as Absolute Punk and The Dropp. In January 2014 the band was invited to perform on Late Night with David Letterman, where they performed standout track “Beggar’s Guild.” They also were one of the bands handpicked to join the inaugural Communion Presents Tour Dates, an artist showcase curated by Mumford and Sons' Ben Lovett.
Their debut full-length album, In Tongues, was released 19 August 2014 to wide critical acclaim. Recorded in their home studio and produced by Doug Boehm, the album received exclusive streams on Consequence of Sound and Paste Magazine, as well as positive reviews from Rolling Stone, SPIN, Relix and In Your Speakers. Rolling Stone's Cady Drell noted that Andrew Shepard's vocals on the opening track "make him sound like the latter-day Tom Petty he's been pitched as”, and that "synths and roiling surf rock guitars illuminate fans' flattering comparisons of Shepard to My Morning Jacket's Jim James”. Similarly, Justin Jacobs of Relix magazine stated “Roadkill Ghost Choir hit the sweet spot between Mumford & Sons’ power-folk and My Morning Jacket’s passionate post-Southern rock.”
The band toured with Band of Horses performing opening slots in 2013, and were featured at Austin City Limits, New York's Governors Ball and Shaky Knees. 2014 saw festival inclusions at Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Electric Forest and SXSW, among others. They also joined the inaugural Communion Presents tour, alongside Willy Mason, Yacht Club DJs and Rubblebucket, stopping at nine cities in one month.
- Andrew Shepard - songwriter and singer
- Stephen Garza - lead guitar
- Zach Shepard - bass
- Maxx Shepard - drums
- Kiffy Myers - pedal steel, banjo
- Joey Davoli - trumpet, keys, whistling
2012/09/25 ‘Quiet Light’ EP
- Beggars' Guild
- Tarot Youth
- Bird in my Window
- In the Lion's Mouth
2014/08/19 'In Tongues'
- Slow Knife
- Down & Out
- A Blow to the Head
- I Could see Everything
- No Enemy
- Lazarus, You've Been Dreaming
- Dead Friend
- See You Soon
2017/10/27 'False Youth Etcetera'
- Vision on Vision / Undo 10:11
- Classics (Die Young) 4:40
- Cassette Memory 3:56
- Dream Shiver 4:26
- Severed Hand of God 5:20
- K.L.P. #1 1:30
- Panik Kit 5:42
- Sad Magic 3:04
- Suit Said Sing 4:09
- Sadness for My Friends 3:09
- Television Teeth 5:07
- Out of Existence 9:16
- Kaye, Ben. Consequence of Sound http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/09/stream-roadkill-ghost-choir-quiet-light-ep-cos-premiere/. Retrieved 2014-09-16. Missing or empty
- "Help Roadkill Ghost Choir Finish Their Record". Kickstarter. Roadkill Ghost Choir. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Robson, Gregory. "Roadkill Ghost Choir: Quiet Light EP". Absolute Punk. Absolute Punk. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Miller, Robert. "Roadkill Ghost Choir: Quiet Light Review". The Dropp. The Dropp. Archived from the original on 2014-10-05. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- "The Late Show with David Letterman". CBS Network. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Henry, Dusty. "Roadkill Ghost Choir Debut Album: In Tongues Stream". Consequence of Sound. Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2013-09-16.
- Orr, Darcy. "Roadkill Ghost Choir - Slow Knife". Paste Magazine. Paste. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Gaffney, Stephen. "Roadkill Ghost Choir - In Tongues Stream". SPIN. SPIN Magazine.
- Datko, Alison. "Roadkill Ghost Choir Delivers Gritty Rock-Tinged Americana with In Tongues". In Your Speakers. In Your Speakers. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Drell, Cady. "'Roadkill Ghost Choir "In Tongues" Album Review"". Rolling Stone. Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Jacobs, Justin. "Roadkill Ghost Choir: In Tongues". Relix Music Magazine. Relix. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- "Roadkill Ghost Choir". Roadkill Ghost Choir.