Robert Aldrich (historian)
Robert Aldrich FAHA FASSA (born July 29, 1954, in New York) is an Australian historian and writer. Aldrich is a Professor of European History, he teaches and researches modern European and colonial history, including the history of France since the Revolution, the history of the French and British overseas empires, the history of 'sites of memory' and the history of gender and sexuality.
After school Aldrich studied history in the United States of America, first at Emory University, Georgia, where he received his undergraduate degree, and afterwards at Brandeis University, Massachusetts, where he gained his Master's and PhD.
Awards and Recognition
In 2002 the French Government awarded Aldrich the Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Palmes Académiques. In 2008 he was elected a Fellow of both the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia and the Australian Academy of the Humanities.
- An Economic and Social History of Europe, 1890–1939 (1987); An Economic and Social History of Europe, 1939 to the Present (1987) (with Frank Tipton)
- The French Presence in the South Pacific, 1842–1940 (1990)
- France's Overseas Frontier: Départements et Territoires d'Outre-Mer (together with John Connell) (1992)
- France and the South Pacific since 1940 (1993)
- The Seduction of the Mediterranean: Writing, Art and Homosexual Fantasy (1993)
- Greater France: A History of French Overseas Expansion (1996)
- The Last Colonies (1998)
- Who's Who in gay and lesbian history (2001) (together with Garry Wotherspoon)
- Colonialism and Homosexuality (2003)
- Vestiges of the Colonial Empire in France: Monuments, Museums and Colonial Memories (2005)
- Gay Life and Culture: A World History, published by Thames & Hudson (2006) (German translation: Gleich und Anders – Eine Globale Geschichte der Homosexualität, Murmann Verlag) (2007)
- The Age of Empires, published by Thames & Hudson (2007)
- Gay Lives, published by Thames & Hudson (2012) (UK title, Gay Life Stories)
- Aldrich, Robert
- "Biography". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- University Sydney:Robert Aldrich
- Spiegel: Die Welt ist schwul – na und? (german)
- Zeit: Ein Kuss ist nicht immer ein Kuss (german)
- "Professor Robert Aldrich". Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia. Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- "Robert Aldrich". Australian Academy of Humanities. Retrieved 1 March 2018.