Robert Ralph Scrymgeour Hiscox
January 1943 (age 78)
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Cambridge|
|Title||Former chairman, Hiscox|
Lady Julia Meade
Robert Ralph Scrymgeour Hiscox  is a British businessman, art collector, and philanthropist. He was chairman of Hiscox Ltd, a firm of Lloyd's of London underwriters, for 43 years until his retirement in 2013.(born January 1943)
Hiscox is the son of Ralph Hiscox CBE, who was a founding partner in Roberts & Hiscox in 1946. He was educated at Rugby School, followed by Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, where he earned a degree in economics and law. He joined Hiscox Ltd in 1965 as an underwriter of fine art and personal accident insurance.
His father died in 1970 and he took control of the partnership, with Anthony Roberts, the other co-founder, moving aside. Roberts & Hiscox gradually incorporated, starting in 1993 becoming Hiscox plc. It grew from a Lloyd's underwriter to the international insurance company, Hiscox Ltd, headquartered in Bermuda. He was the company's chairman for 43 years until his retirement in 2013, then honorary president until 2017.
Hiscox was deputy chairman of Lloyd's from 1993 to 1995, and helped save it from the brink of collapse.
Hiscox is chairman of the Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust, which provides home security advice for elderly, vulnerable and disadvantaged people throughout Wiltshire. He is chairman of the Kenneth Armitage Foundation and the Paolozzi Foundation, which protect and enhance the reputations of the artists and support sculptors. He is chairman of the Swindon Museum and Art Gallery Trust which was established in 2015 to build a new museum and art gallery to transform the centre of Swindon. He chairs the Hiscox Foundation, the charitable foundation of Hiscox plc.
He has hosted the Wiltshire Steam and Vintage Rally annually in June for a number of years, at Rainscombe Park, Oare, Wiltshire. In 2014, he saved the White Horse Bookshop on Marlborough High Street from closure. He was High Sheriff of Wiltshire in 2011–2012 and a Deputy Lieutenant of Wiltshire until 2018.
- "Robert Ralph Scrymgeour HISCOX – Personal Appointments". Companies House, Government of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Robert Hiscox – Insurance Day Summit London 2014". insurancedaysummit.com. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- Julia Kollewe. "Robert Hiscox to bow out of insurer after 43 years at helm | Business". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "Hiscox Partners | Hiscox Corporate". Hiscoxgroup.com. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "Business Interview: Robert Hiscox, Chairman, Hiscox | The Independent". The Independent. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Home page – Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust". wiltshirebobbyvan.org.uk. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "About Us". WAPG. Retrieved 13 January 2021.
- "Marlborough's White Horse bookshop saved | The Bookseller". thebookseller.com. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- Deputy Lieutenant Commissions: Lieutenancy of Wiltshire The London Gazette. 4 February 2013.
- "The Marcus Scriven profile: Robert Hiscox". The Insurance Insider. 8 March 2012. Retrieved 28 February 2017.