Robert Ralph Scrymgeour Hiscox
January 1943 (age 76)
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Cambridge|
|Title||Former chairman, Hiscox|
Lady Julia Meade
Robert Ralph Scrymgeour Hiscox DL (born January 1943) is a British businessman, art collector, and philanthropist. He was chairman of Hiscox Ltd, a firm of Lloyd's of London underwriters, for 43 years, until his retirement in 2013, and honorary president until 2017. He was deputy chairman of Lloyd's from 1993 to 1995, and helped save it from the brink of collapse.
Hiscox is the son of Ralph Hiscox CBE, who was a founding partner in Roberts & Hiscox in 1946. He was educated at Rugby School, followed by Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, where he earned a degree in economics and law. He joined Hiscox Ltd in 1965 as an underwriter of fine art and personal accident insurance.
His father died in 1970 and he took control of the partnership, with Anthony Roberts, the other co-founder, moving aside. Roberts & Hiscox gradually incorporated, starting in 1993 becoming Hiscox plc. It grew from a Lloyd’s underwriter to the international insurance company, Hiscox Ltd, headquartered in Bermuda.
He was the chairman for 43 years until his retirement in 2013, then honorary president until 2017.
Hiscox is chairman of the Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust, which provides home security advice for elderly, vulnerable and disadvantaged people throughout Wiltshire. He is chairman of the Kenneth Armitage Foundation and the Paolozzi Foundation which both protect and enhance the reputations of the artists and support sculptors. He is chairman of the Swindon Museum and Art Gallery Trust which was established in 2015 to build a new museum and art gallery to transform the centre of Swindon. He chairs the Hiscox Foundation, the charitable foundation of Hiscox plc.
He has hosted the Wiltshire Steam and Vintage Rally annually in June for over ten years, at Rainscombe Park, Oare, Wiltshire. In 2014, he saved the White Horse Bookshop on Marlborough High Street from closing. He was High Sheriff of Wiltshire 2011–2012 and a Deputy Lieutenant of Wiltshire until 2018.
- "Robert Ralph Scrymgeour HISCOX - Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)". Beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Business Interview: Robert Hiscox, Chairman, Hiscox | The Independent". independent.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-09-09.
- "Robert Hiscox - Insurance Day Summit London 2014". www.insurancedaysummit.com. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- Julia Kollewe. "Robert Hiscox to bow out of insurer after 43 years at helm | Business". The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- Sunderland, Ruth (2012-11-21). "CITY INTERVIEW: Plain speaker Robert Hiscox ready to end an era". This is Money. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "Hiscox Partners | Hiscox Corporate". Hiscoxgroup.com. Retrieved 2016-03-29.
- "Home page - Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust". wiltshirebobbyvan.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-09-09.
- "The Wiltshire Agricultural Preservation Group - Wiltshire Steam and Vintage Rally". wapg.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-09-09.
- "Marlborough's White Horse bookshop saved | The Bookseller". thebookseller.com. Retrieved 2016-09-09.
- Deputy Lieutenant Commissions: Lieutenancy of Wiltshire London Gazette. 4 February 2013.
- "The Marcus Scriven profile: Robert Hiscox". The Insurance Insider. 2012-03-08. Retrieved 2017-02-28.