Robert Kirby (humor columnist)
Kirby was born into a military family. After completing high school he served a two-year mission in Uruguay for his church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, where he learned to speak Spanish. Upon his return he pursued a career in law enforcement. His first work as a policeman was with the Grantsville Police Department and later Springville, Utah police department (1979). While taking night classes at nearby Brigham Young University Kirby began writing columns for the local newspapers, first the Springville Daily Herald, and later the Utah County Journal (writing under the pen name Officer "Blitz" Kreeg).
In 1989 Kirby decided to leave police work and devote himself to full-time writing. He has written a column for the Salt Lake Tribune since 1994, and has written at least nine books.
Kirby is a popular convention speaker, and travels widely to appear at conventions and meetings.
His newspaper columns have won several regional awards.
Samples of his newspaper column humor are widely available online.
Kirby, who is active in the LDS Church, often writes about its teachings and how its members interpret those teachings in their daily lives. Since most of the SL Tribune's readership is non-LDS, Kirby attempts to explain (usually in a humorous way) the LDS way of thinking to outsiders. He refers to himself as an "OxyMormon". This approach either alienates those Latter-day Saints who feel their beliefs should not be satirized, or endears itself to the reader. Despite this discordant reception, Kirby has never faced church discipline and has even been quoted favorably in LDS General Conference.
Kirby presently (2009) lives in Herriman, Utah. He and his wife had three daughters.
- Brigham's Bees (1991)
- Dark Angel (2000)
- Happy Valley Patrol (1993)
- Sunday of the Living Dead (1995)
- Wake Me for the Resurrection (1996)
- Pat & Kirby go to Hell (or heck if you have the sticker edition) (1997)
- Family Home Screaming (1999)
- Kirby Soup for the Soul (2003)
- END OF WATCH: Utah's Murdered Police Officers, 1853-2003 (University of Utah Press, Feb. 2004)
- http://affirmation.org/news/2009_071.shtml Affirmation website, accessed 25 Sept. 2009
- http://ula.org/conference/2006conf/conf.html Utah Library Association website, accessed 25 Sept. 2009
- I guess they booked me because they couldn't get a stripper is a typical comment when he announces a speaking engagement
- http://www.utah spj.blogspot.com/2007_06-01_archive.html "Kirby wins first place in 2007 Utah Headliners Award, Opinion Column Category (accessed 25 Sept. 2009)
- e.g. http://greaterthings.com/Humor/KirbyClassics.htm
- http://www.allanrayandrews.net/websites_for_journalists/columns-and-editorials-li.html Websites for Journalists, accessed 25 Sept. 2009
- . . . I have come to think of [Kirby] as a rather peculiar uncle who shows up every few days to say something quirky and walks out, leaving everyone to think for a moment. I know when I see his name that I'm going to have a good morning. http://www.onefalsestep.com (Blogsite) accessed 25 Sept. 2009
- Robert Kirby (June 15, 2014). "Kicked out of the Mormon church? Who, me?". Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- Richard C. Edgley (October 2007). "Enduring Together". General Conference. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- http://bertolo.org/gallery/kirby/books.htm Bertolo website, accessed 25 Sept. 2009
- http://www.adherents.com/lit/sf_other2.html Adherents website, accessed 25 Sept. 2009
- http://samwellers.com/booktalk/decemberandjanuary_2004.pdf Sam Weller Bookstore website, accessed 25 Sept. 2009