||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (July 2014)|
|Dr. Robert Rey|
October 1, 1961 |
São Paulo, Brazil
|Residence||Beverly Hills, California , USA|
|Spouse(s)||Hayley Rey (m. 2000)|
Roberto Miguel Rey Júnior, M.D (Portuguese pronunciation: [ʁoˈbɛɾtu miˈɡɛw ˈʁej ˈʒunjoɾ], born October 1, 1961), best known as Robert Rey, is a Brazilian plastic surgeon featured on the E! reality series Dr. 90210. He is in private practice in Beverly Hills and specializes in cosmetic surgery.
Roberto Miguel Rey Júnior was born in São Paulo, Brazil, to Avelina Reisdörfer and engineer Roberto Miguel Rey, an American-born naturalized Brazilian. The family lived in São Paulo until 1974, when Rey, then 12 years old, and his brother and two sisters came to the United States. Rey and his siblings moved to Utah, where they were adopted by a Mormon religious community. They later moved to Arizona. At sixteen he met with his mother again and they went to live in Prescott, Arizona where he attended Prescott High School. She worked as a janitor to help with Robert’s schooling bills.
Explaining his and his mother's estrangement from his father, Dr. Rey has explained that his father was an abusive alcoholic and womanizer, saying, "Meu pai era um monstro, e minha mãe não tinha voz. Estava contentíssimo de sair daquilo." (My father was a monster, and my mother did not have a voice. I was very happy to leave that.) Rey referred to his father as a "total asshole, a womanizer and a drunk.".
Participating in the Boy Scouts of America, Dr. Rey earned the coveted Eagle Scout Rank prior to his 18th birthday.
He became a member of the Screen Actors Guild in 1980 and has appeared in national television advertisements, most recently in a Carl's Jr. commercial in which he advises a chicken to undergo breast augmentation surgery. Rey was the medical consultant on the American film Se7en, and also made a cameo appearance in the Bollywood movie, Americanizing Shelley. He is also an avid martial artist with black belt in Taekwondo and Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
He received a Bachelor's degree from Arizona State University in Biochemistry. He has a Master's degree in Health Policy from Harvard, and an M.D. from Tufts University School of Medicine in 1990. Rey did a three year general surgery residency at Harbor UCLA, and completed his plastic surgery residency in 1997 at the University of Tennessee-Memphis Health Science Center. He subsequently undertook an aesthetic and breast reconstruction fellowship at the Harvard Medical School's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. He is licensed to practice medicine in California and Massachusetts. He currently serves as a medical correspondent for The Insider and NBC4 news.
Rey has been featured on many television shows such as The View, The Today Show, Good Morning America, Dr. Phil as well as print articles such as The New York Times,The Wall Street Journal and the cover of Forbes Brazil and has a weekly casebook article in Life and Style Magazine. He is a member of The Los Angeles Medical Association and American Medical Association and is on staff at Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. In 2004, Rey became the star of the reality television series Dr. 90210. It showcases both his and other surgeon's practices, the surgeries and patients, as well as his family life. He is also noted for his work on celebrity patients, including an episode of Dr. 90210 featuring John Travolta's niece's breast augmentation.
Rey and his wife, Quebec-born Hayley Rey (born August 24, 1974), married in 2000. They have 2 children, daughter, Sydney born in 2000,and son Robby, born in 2004. They live in Beverly Hills, California. Hayley Rey is a full-time homemaker in addition to appearing in the show. The Reys own three Chihuahuas and a German Shepherd.
- Reality Check (2000), self
- Plastic Surgery (2000), self
- Dr. 90210 (2004–2008), self
- Rey's Anatomy (2006), self
- Americanizing Shelley (2007), Elastic Surgeon
- The Cosmetic Surgery Show (2009–2012), self
- Live In LA LA Land (2011) Self, Examming 6 Israeli Singers.
- Dr. Hollywood Brasil (2012–present), self
- Sexo a Três (2012), self, Game show.
- Rey, R.M. Paiement, G.D., McGann W.M., Jasty, M., Harrigan, T.P., Burke, D.W., and Harris, W.H.: A Study of Intrusion Characteristics of Low Viscosity Cement Simplex-P and Palacos Cements in a Bovine Cancellous Bone Model. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 215:272-278, 1987.
- Greer, J.A., O'Connor, D.O., Rey, R.M., and Harris, W.H.: Improved Fatigue Porosity and Thermal Properties of a New PMMA Bone Cement. Trans. 3 1 st Ann. Meeting Orthopaedic Research Society, Las Vegas, Nevada, 1985, p. 240.
- "Rey R.M. Book Review: The Quest of Efficiency in the Delivery of Health Care Service. Governance: Harvard Journal of Public Policy. Summer-Fall, 1987 p. 71-72.
- Robert M. Rey for the Office of the U.S. Surgeon General, Plain Talk on AIDS for Hispanic Americans, Vista Hispanic Magazine, September 5, 1987, p. 13.
- Sutherlin, C.E., McAfee, P.C., Warden, K.E., Rey, R.M., and Farey, I.D.: A Biomechanical Evaluation of Cervical Spinal Stabilization Methods in a Bovine Model: Static and Cyclical Loading. Spine 13(7): 795-802, -_p 1988.
- Schuind, F., An, K.N., Bergiand L., Rey, R.M., Linscbeid, R.I., and Chao, E.Y.S.: A Biomechanical Study of the Distal Radioulnar Ligaments. The 7th Meeting of the European Society Biomechanics, Aarhus, Denmark, 1990.
- Schuind, F., An, K.N., Bergiand, L., Rey, R.M., Cooney, 111, W.P., Linscheid, R.L., and Cha Io, E.Y.S.: The Distal Radio-Ulnar Ligaments - A Biomechanical Study. The Journal of Hand Surgery (Am.) 16A(6): 1106- 1114, 1991.
- Rey, R.M., Smoot, E.C., Nguyen, D., and Lesavoy, M.A.: A Study of the Effects of Epinephrine Infiltration on Delayed Bleeding in a Rat Flap Model. Annals of Plastic Surgery, 37(4): 406-410, 1996.
- Smoot, E.C., Jernigan, J.R., Kinsley, E., and Rey, R.M.: A Survey of Operative Airway Management Practices for Midface Fractures. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 8(3):201-207.
- Rey, R.M., and Smoot, E.C. Correspondence: Modified Catch Basin for Extremity Irrigation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 101(2): 553-554, 1998.
- (Portuguese)Farah, Fábio. Um astro brasileiro em Beverly Hills. ISTOÉ Gente, 18 October 2004. Accessed 9 January 2007.
- Singer, Natasha. A Doctor? He Is One on TV., New York Times, 16 March 2006. Accessed 9 January 2007.
- PRWeb, The Women in the Life of Dr. Robert Rey, November 10, 2004.
- MarieClaire, Meet Dr. 90210 Surgeon to the Stars. Accessed on February 3, 2008.
- CarlsJr.com Dr. Robert Rey, Star of E! Entertainment's 'Dr. 90210,' Debuts in Carl's Jr. Commercial. April 28, 2006.
- Los Angeles County Medical Association, Information for: Roberto Rey, MD.
- Wendy Diamond. "Dr. Robert Rey and Haley Rey of 'Dr. 90210'", Animal Fair
- "Why Not Be Perfect?" Los Angeles Times, 9 July 2006.