Robert Smith (professor)
Robert Sidney Smith (31 January 1919 – 29 November 2009, London, England) was an expert on the history of the Yoruba people of Nigeria and was a Senior Lecturer and then Professor of History at the universities of Lagos, Ife and Ibadan. He was born on 31 January 1919. For many years he lived near Kew Gardens in London and died in London on 29 November 2009.
He authored the following books:
- The Lagos Consulate (published by Macmillan)
- Warfare and Diplomacy in Pre-colonial West Africa (published by University of Wisconsin Press)
A festschrift was published in his honour Falola, Toyin & Law, Robin (eds.) (1992) Warfare and diplomacy in precolonial Nigeria: Essays in honor of Robert Smith, Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin.
- There is a brief publishers biographical note on the rear cover of Smith, Robert Sydney (1989) Warfare & diplomacy in pre-colonial West Africa, Univ of Wisconsin Press
- Kingdoms of the Yoruba (published by Methuen 1969)
- Jones, D. H., & Smith, R. (1 January 1972). Review of Kingdoms of the Yoruba. Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 35, 1, 211
- Newbury, C., (1 January 1970). Review of Kingdoms of the Yoruba. Journal of African History, 11, 1, 162.
- L, R. C. C., (1 January 1977). Review of Kingdoms of the Yoruba. Journal of African History, 18, 2, 317.
- Agiri, B., (1 January 1989). Review of Kingdoms of the Yoruba. Journal of African History, 30, 2, 357.
- McCall, D., (1 August 1971). Review of Kingdoms of the Yoruba. American Anthropologist, 73, 4, 962-963.
- Peel, J. D. Y., (1 January 1970). Kingdoms of the Yoruba. Africa: Journal of the International African Institute, 40, 1.)
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|