Robert X Browning
|Robert X Browning|
|Fields||Political science and communication|
|Alma mater||Marquette University|
|Known for||Director of C-SPAN Archives|
Education and academic career
Browning graduated from Marquette University with a Bachelor of Science degree in 1972. He received a master's degree in public administration in 1977 and a master's degree in political science in 1978, both from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. In 1981, he was awarded his Ph.D., also from the University of Wisconsin–Madison, under the direction of Ira Sharkansky with the thesis "Political and economic predictors of policy outcomes: U.S. social welfare expenditures, 1947-1977".
In 1981, he became an assistant professor at Purdue University, where he is currently associate professor of communication/political science. At Purdue, Browning teaches courses related to American politics and the United States Congress.
Browning is the founding director of the C-SPAN Archives. In 1986, with other Purdue professors, he developed the idea for an educational C-SPAN archive, which was approved in 1987 by David Caputo, then dean of Purdue's School of Humanities, Social Science and Education. In September 1987, the archive began cataloguing recordings of C-SPAN's coverage of Congress and other public affairs programming.
Browning assumed the title of Director of C-SPAN Archives in 1998, when the archives were transferred to C-SPAN's management. He facilitates educational access to C-SPAN's collection and oversees the archives, which are located in Purdue Research Park in West Lafayette, Indiana. By the time of the launch of the C-SPAN Video Library in 2010, Browning's team converted over 120,000 hours of recordings of C-SPAN programming from analog to digital. In 2011, the C-SPAN Video Library was awarded a Peabody Award.
- Robert X Browning. Politics and Social Welfare Policy in the United States (1986) Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press ISBN 9780870494864. In 535 libraries according to WorldCat.
- The Experiment in Government (1995, 2000) Robert X Browning and Barbara Hinckley (online course with video examples)
Browning has also published several peer-reviewed articles:
- "Public Affairs Video Archives: The C-SPAN Persian Gulf Collection". Film & History, 32:1/2, ed. by Peter Rollins, February/May 1992.
- (with Gary King) "Democratic Representation and Partisan Bias in Congressional Elections". American Political Science Review. December 1987.
- (with Gary King) "Seats, Votes, and Gerrymandering: Measuring Bias and Representation in Legislative Redistricting", Law and Policy, July 1987.
- (with William Shaffer) "Leaders and Followers in a Strong Party State". American Politics Quarterly, January 1987.
- "Presidents, Congress, and U.S. Social Welfare Expenditures, 1947-1977". American Journal of Political Science, May 1985.
- Browning, Robert X (1981). "Political and economic predictors of policy outcomes: U.S. social welfare expenditures, 1947-1977". WorldCat. University of Wisconsin-Madison. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- "Robert Browning". Purdue.edu. Purdue University. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
- "Robert Browning Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Purdue.edu. Purdue University. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
- Eric Weddle (28 March 2010). "C-SPAN Archive puts history on the Internet". The Associated Press State & Local Wire.
- "Purdue names School of Communication for C-SPAN founder". University News Service. 8 April 2011. Retrieved 29 November 2011.
- Kevin Cullen (9 November 2002). "15 Years of History in C-SPAN Archives Housed at Purdue". The Associated Press State & Local Wire.
- Brian Lamb (1988). America's Town Hall. Acropolis Books. pp. 47–50.
- Chuck Raasch (26 March 2010). "Changing the way we view history". USA Today.
- Betsy Rothstein (24 May 2011). "Morning Prize: C-SPAN lands Peabody for Library". Fishbowl DC. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- Browning, Robert X (1986). "Politics and Social Welfare Policy in the United States". WorldCat. University of Tennessee Press. Retrieved 26 March 2012.