Rock and Wrap it Up
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Mission||Use greening tactics to recover food and other assets to be given to agencies fighting poverty|
Rock and Wrap it Up! is a non-profit organization that was formed by Syd Mandelbaum in 1994. The independent anti-poverty think tank is based in New York, but works with partners across the country to develop greening solutions that address the issues of hunger and poverty in America. The organization works by increasing financial assets available to fight poverty by identifying new revenue streams through food and other basic assets obtained without cost. The organization's roots are in rock 'n' roll music, which is where they got the name Rock and Wrap it Up! The group started by recovering food that was prepared, but not served from venues like Nikon at Jones Beach Theater. Next, the organization started working directly with bands to see that surplus food would be donated instead of being thrown out. Rock and Wrap it Up! works with bands to show them how they can use their contracts as a harvesting tool for food and other assets. Some of the first bands to include Rock and Wrap it Up's suggested clause in their rider were The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bruce Hornsby, The Allman Brothers Band, Tom Petty and Tina Turner.
Rock and Wrap it Up! has expanded its work to include partnerships with sports franchises across America as well as schools and now hotels. The organization is also working with television and film production crews to see that surplus food and other assets are not wasted at the end of shooting.
Sports Wrap! is the sector of Rock and Wrap it Up! that works with professional sports teams and the concession stands at ballparks, fields and other arenas to collect food that has been prepared but not sold or served. Rock and Wrap it Up matches this leftover food with a local agency fighting poverty, who in turn recovers the food and serves it at area shelters and soup kitchens.
New York Yankees
New York Mets
Boston Red Sox
New York Giants
New York Jets
New England Patriots
New York Knicks
New Jersey Nets
Kansas City Royals
New York Islanders
Hotel Wrap! is Rock and Wrap it Up's newest endeavor. They work with hotels to see that toiletries are not thrown into the garbage, but instead shared with local anti-poverty agencies. The group recovers unused or partially used shampoo bottles, bath gel, and other items left behind by hotel guests. Hotel Wrap works with the Housekeeping staff of hotels to develop effective ways to ensure that tissues, toilet paper, and toiletries are shared with those in need instead of ending up in the trash.
School Programs Since 1997, over 300 schools nationwide have started Rock and Wrap it Up! School Programs to empower students to recover food and other assets from their schools for distribution in the local community.
Snack Wrap! encourages younger students to share unopened snacks with children in latchkey programs. High School and College students recover food that is prepared but not sold in their schools and share them with agencies in their community who fight poverty. The College Wrap Program also encourages the Give and Go Green Program. Students donate bedding, gently used clothing, small appliances, furniture and non-perishable food at the end of each school year to local agencies rather than disposing these assets into landfills.
- Rock and Wrap It Up!: Non-profit fighting hunger and poverty. Win4hunger.org. Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- The Angel Of Rock. CBS News (February 11, 2009). Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Rock and Wrap It Up! Helps Fight Hunger Success Story | Organic Materials | US EPA. Epa.gov (June 28, 2006). Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- 'Rock and Wrap It Up' program brings leftovers to needy after concerts, games at U.S. venues. NJ.com. Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Rock & Wrap It Up!. Pollstar (January 17, 2009). Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Gathering Forces in the Battle on Hunger – New York Times. Nytimes.com (November 16, 2003). Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- ADVISORY/Rock and Wrap It Up! Honors Allman Brothers Band, Chef David Bouley, and Pi Lambda Phi Fraternity at 3rd Annual Benefit Dinner; Thursday, June 12 – at Pier Sixty in NYC. – Free Online Library. Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Tom Petty The Heartbreakers Tickets – Tom Petty The Heartbreakers Upcoming Schedule – Tom Petty The Heartbreakers Information Feature – Tom Petty The Heartbreakers from. Chicago Gigs. Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Long Island News – Dowling College Partnered with Rock and Wrap It Up and Suffolk County | Long Island Press Releases. Longislandexchange.com (May 28, 2009). Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- CW Post Home – Long Island University. Cwpost.liu.edu (October 16, 2011). Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- The Official Site of Nets Basketball. Nba.com (September 23, 2011). Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Rock and Wrap It Up takes leftovers from big events to feed the hungry | Style | NewJerseyNewsroom.com – Your State. Your News. NewJerseyNewsroom.com (November 2, 2009). Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Kram, Mark. (2009-09-30) Group feeds the hungry with leftovers from Citizens Bank Park, Lincoln Financial Field | Philadelphia Daily News | 09/30/2009. Philly.com. Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Royals partner with Rock and Wrap it Up! | royals.com: Official Info. Kansascity.royals.mlb.com. Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Community Initiatives and Annual Fundraising – New York Islanders – Islanders in the Community. Islanders.nhl.com. Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Florida Panthers and BankAtlantic Center Team With "Rock and Wrap It Up!" to Deliver Unused Concession Food to Places of Need – Florida Panthers – News. Panthers.nhl.com. Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Nonprofit Matches Hotels, Agencies in Waste-reducing Venture. Green Lodging News (December 13, 2009). Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- The Wrap Star. Mpiweb.org. Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Environmental Stewardship. Columbia.edu. Retrieved on October 20, 2011.
- Rock and Wrap it Up! Official Website