Rod Beattie (1959) is an American swimwear designer. His swimsuit designs are sold at stores throughout the United States. Beattie designed for La Blanca and Anne Cole Collection for 25 years. He launched his own swimwear label, "Bleu/Rod Beattie", in the summer of 2011.
Early life and education
After graduation in 1986, Beattie designed sportswear at several contemporary houses in Los Angeles, including Theodore and Max Studio. In 1988 he began to design swimwear for La Blanca, helping the company to increase sales to about $30 million.
After six years with La Blanca, Beattie began on to design swimwear for the Anne Cole Collection, which at the time was a division of Warnaco. In March 1999, Beattie left Anne Cole Collection, joining La Blanca as head designer with his name now on the label. For the next ten years, La Blanca by Rod Beattie was the top-selling retail swimwear label in the United States.
In 2014 Beattie sold the Bleu/Rod Beattie line to Amerex Group.
- "Swimsuit designer Rod Beattie makes a splash at Belk SouthPark". Charlotte Business Journal.
- "Modern Muses: Bleu/Rod Beattie". Fashion Mannuscript June 2012 - Sheridan
- "Islands in the Stream". Apparel News, By Deborah Belgum | Friday, July 11, 2014
- JTN. International Department, Osaka Senken. 1988.
- Women's Wear Daily stories, Dec 10, 2009 and Oct 8 2010
- "Sizzling styles for the beach". Chicago Tribune.
- Johnson Publishing Company (January 2003). Ebony. Johnson Publishing Company. pp. 86–. ISSN 0012-9011.
- California Apparel News July 11, 2011 also The Swim Journal Jan/Feb 2011
- "Rod Beattie to Design Swim for A.H. Schreiber" (http://www.wwd.com/markets-news/intimates-activewear/rod-beattie-to-design-swim-for-ah-schreiber-3370825) Women's Wear Daily. November 3, 2010.
- "A.H. Shreiber Hires Designer Rod Beattie to Launch New Swimwear Label" (http://www.theswimjournal.com/pageflip/1764844095jafe2011/index.html) The Swim Journal. January/February 2011.
- "Waterwear 2012: Into the Bleu" (http://www.apparelnews.net/news/manufacturing/070811-Waterwear-2012-Into-the-Bleu) California Apparel News. July 8, 2011.
- "Swimwear Label Bleu/Rod Beattie Sold to Amerex Group". Apparel News. (subscription required).
- "L.A.'s Otis College Raises $1 Million with Designer-Mentored Student Fashion Show". Hollywood Reporter.
- "Graduation Time at Otis College of Art and Design" (http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-features/graduation-time-at-otis-college-of-art-and-design-3607683) Women's Wear Daily. May 10, 2011.
- "Swimsuit Designer Mentors Designers of the Future" (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/the-scene/fashion/Swimsuit_Designer_Mentors_Designers_of_the_Future_Los_Angeles-114398584.html) NBC Los Angeles. January 21, 2011.
- Bleu/Rod Beattie website. (http://www.bleurodbeattie.com/)