Self portrait (c. 1923–1926)
|Born||17 October 1860
Castleplunket, County Roscommon, Ireland
|Died||18 March 1940
|Education||Metropolitan School of Art (Dublin), Royal Hibernian Academy (Dublin), Ampleforth College (Yorkshire), Académie Royale des Beaux-Arts (Antwerp)|
|Known for||Painter, etcher|
Roderic O'Conor (17 October 1860 – 18 March 1940) was an Irish painter. Spending much of his later career in Paris and as part of the Pont-Aven movement, O'Conor's work demonstrates Impressionist and Post-Impressionist influence.
Early life and training
Born in Milltown, Castleplunket, County Roscommon, Ireland, O'Conor attended the Metropolitan School and Royal Hibernian Academy early in his career. He studied at Ampleforth College, and like his classmate, Richard Moynan, travelled to Antwerp before moving to Paris to gain further experience. While in France, he was influenced by the Impressionists.
Works and legacy
In 1892 O'Conor went to Pont-Aven in Brittany where he worked closely with a group of artists around the Post-Impressionist Paul Gauguin, whom he befriended. His method of painting with textured strokes of contrasting colours also owed much to Van Gogh. His nephew, Patrick O'Connor (1909–97), was also a painter as well as a sculptor.
In March 2011 a work by O'Conor sold for £337,250 (€383,993). Landscape, Cassis, an oil-on-canvas, was painted by O'Conor in the south of France in 1913 and sold at Sotheby's for significantly higher than the estimate price.
Works in collections
- Auckland Art Gallery
- Ulster Museum, Belfast
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Hugh Lane Gallery of Modern Art, Dublin
- National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin
- Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh
- Indianapolis Museum of Art
- Hunt Museum, Limerick
- Tate Britain, London
- Museum of Modern Art, New York
- Musée d’Orsay, Paris
- Musée des Beaux-Arts de Pont-Aven
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney
- Te Papa, Wellington
- "Roderic O'Conor - Biography". Milmo-Penny Fine Art. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Roderic O'Conor Biography". Tate Institution. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- Campbell, Julian (1984). The Irish Impressionists, Irish Artists in France and Belgium 1850-1914. National Gallery of Ireland. ISBN 0-903162-17-2.
- "Irish Paris > Artists > Roderic O'Conor". Irishmeninparis.org.
- "Landscape, Cassis by Roderic O'Conor". Sothebys. 29 March 2011. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- Jonathan Benington: Roderic O'Conor: a biography with a catalogue of his works. Irish Academic Press, Dublin 1992, ISBN 978-0-71652-492-2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roderic O'Conor.|
|This Irish painter article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|