Roderick M. Hills
|Roderick M. Hills|
|Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission|
October 28, 1975 – April 10, 1977
|Preceded by||Irving M. Pollack|
|Succeeded by||Harold M. Williams|
March 9, 1931|
Seattle, Washington, U.S.
|Died||October 29, 2014
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
|Alma mater||Stanford University
Stanford Law School
Roderick Maltman Hills (March 9, 1931 – October 29, 2014) served as chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission between 1975 and 1977. Later he worked at the investment bank of Drexel Burnham Lambert and then at the law firm of Donovan, Leisure, Newton & Irvine. In 1962, he founded the law firm of Munger, Tolles, Hills, and Rickershauser (now Munger, Tolles & Olson) along with six other lawyers. He was also Founder and Chairman Emeritus of the US-ASEAN Business Council.
During his career he also served as a partner in the Washington law firm of Latham & Watkins, as the chief executive officer of Peabody Coal and—in the early 1980s—as the Washington-based head of a merchant banking arm of Sears that was known as Sears World Trade. He had been, since 1996, a partner at the law firm of Hills & Stern. From 1984 until his death in 2014, he served as chairman of Hills Enterprises, Ltd. (formerly The Manchester Group, Ltd.).
Born in Seattle, Washington in 1931, he grew up in Whittier, California, where he played high school football under the same coach as former President Richard M. Nixon. A janitor's son, he was the first in his family to go to college. Hills received his bachelor's degree from Stanford University and then his LL.B. at Stanford Law School in 1955, following which he served as Law Clerk to Justice Stanley F. Reed, Supreme Court of the United States, 1955–57. He was married to former United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Carla Anderson Hills from 1958 until his death. His son, Roderick M. Hills, Jr., is a law professor at the New York University School of Law.
- BUSINESS PEOPLE; A Former S.E.C. Chairman Gets Donovan, Leisure Post
- Munger, Tolles & Olson website, mto.com; accessed November 1, 2014.
- Notice of death of Roderick M. Hills, chicagobusiness.com, October 30, 2014.
- Profile, academyofdiplomacy.org; accessed November 1, 2014.
- Profile, calbar.ca.gov; accessed November 1, 2014.
- Profile, fordlibrarymuseum.gov; accessed November 1, 2014.
- Roderick M. Hills profile, nndb.com; accessed November 1, 2014.
- Roderick M. Hills profile, NYU Faculty Profile, law.nyu.edu; accessed November 1, 2014.
- Obituary, nytimes.com; accessed November 1, 2014.
- Notice of death of Roderick Hills, bloomberg.com; accessed November 1, 2014.
Ray Garrett, Jr.
|Securities and Exchange Commission Chair
Harold M. Williams