|Born||27 February 1940|
|Died||1 November 2019(aged 79)|
|Discipline||Literary and Visual Studies|
|Institutions||University of Kent at Canterbury|
|Main interests||surrealism, outsider art|
Roger Cardinal was the author of books including Surrealism: Permanent Revelation (1970, with Robert Short)  and Outsider Art (1972) , and was professor of literary and visual studies at the University of Kent. Outsider Art was the first book in English to be published on the subject of art brut  and introduced the term "outsider art". In 1979 he and Victor Musgrave curated Outsiders at the Hayward Gallery, London. Cardinal published widely on individual outsider artists and wrote essays on outsider architecture, prison art, autistic art, and memory painting. He was a contributing editor of Raw Vision and co-wrote Raw Erotica (2013) along with John Maizels and Colin Rhodes . Cardinal was also on the International Jury of the INSITA Triannual Exhibition, held in Slovakia .
- Cardinal, Roger; Short, Robert (1970). Surrealism: Permanent Revelation. London: Studio Vista/Dutton. ISBN 9780289797099.
- Cardinal, Roger (1972). Outsider Art. London: Studio Vista. ISBN 9780289701683.
- McDonald, Roger. An Interview with Roger Cardinal, “The Father of Outsider Art” (Part 1), accessed 2019-11-06.
- Raw Erotica: Sex, Lust and Desire in Outsider Art, ed. John Maizels, Raw Vision, 2013, p.208.
- INSITA International Triennial of Self-Taught Art (2010, 9th Triennial), accessed 2019-11-06.