Roger Fiennes was the son of William de Fiennes, Sheriff of Surrey and Sussex in 1396, and Elizabeth Battisford. He was baptized at Herstmonceux on 14 September 1384. His younger brother was James Fiennes, 1st Baron Saye and Sele.
Sir Roger was prominent in the politics and a prominent member of the royal household. He was Knight of the Shire for Sussex in 1416, 1429, 1439, 1442 and 1445. He was Constable of Portchester Castle from 1421 until his death, Sheriff of Surrey and Sussex for 1422 and 1434, Treasurer of the Household for King Henry VI between 1439 and 1446, Keeper of the King's Wardrobe, and Chief Steward of the Duchy of Lancaster from 1441 to 1447. He financed the initial construction of Herstmonceux Castle with spoils from the Hundred Years' War.
Roger Fiennes was ultimately responsible for the construction of Herstmonceux Castle in the County of Sussex. He needed a house fitting a man of his position, so construction of the castle on the site of the old manor house began in 1441. It was through his position as treasurer that he could afford the £3,800 construction cost of the original castle. The castle is not a defensive structure, but a palatial residence.
Marriage and Children
Roger Fiennes and Elizabeth Holland had two boys and one girl:
- Richard Fiennes, 7th Baron Dacre
- Sir Robert Fiennes
- Margaret Fiennes, who married Sir Nicholas Carew of Beddington
- "FIENNES, Sir Roger (1384-1449), of Herstmonceux, Suss". History of Parliament. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Mosley, Charles, editor. Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes. p.3532
- Douglas Richardson: Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study In Colonial And Medieval Families, 2nd Edition, 2011, p.148
- HP ed. Wedgwood 1439-1509, Reg. p. xlii.
- Somerville, Duchy, i. 428; CPR, 1446-52, p. 123.
- Anthony Emery: Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales, 1300–1500: Volume 3, p.344
- Richardson, Douglas. Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study In Colonial And Medieval Families, 2nd Edition, 2011. pp. 148. Google eBook
|This English biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mayor in England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|